Nascar 2006

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Steve Kuester, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

Any other NASCAR fans on the ol' HTF?

If so, I thought it might be fun to have a thread to talk all things Nascar throughout the 2006 season.

Me? I consider myself a pretty big fan, but quite new. I first started following the cup series during the middle of the 2002 season. I will most likely watch every race this year, but I record almost all of them on my DVR. (Much nicer watching a four hour race in two-and-a-half hours)

My driver? Mark Martin. I'll also pull for Carl Edwards and Ryan Newman, but they're a distant second.

My thoughts on the Daytona 500? Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart pretty much annoy me, so I really didn't care for the race. I really thought Stewart deserved a bigger penalty for what he did to Kenseth. End of the longest line at a plate race? Big deal. That's alright though, I'm sure Mr. Mark Martin will mop 'em all up at California.

What do you think, are there enough Nascar fans on the HTF to keep this thread going? (If not, oh well, I figured I should give it a try)

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My wife got into Nascar during the Daytona 500 where Dale died. She used to think it was stupid. But, then when it was on she started watching the race....and was hooked. I laughed at her and now I am hooked. Her favorite driver is Dale Jr (big shock) and I like Gordon & Johnson. But, their are a bunch of drivers I like and ones I don't like. I have actually met a bunch of drivers (Dale jr, Gordon, Johnson, Truex, Riggs, Eliott Sadler and Ward Burton). It is amazing to see how nice these guys all are, especially Sadler. My 3year old son loves Nascar. His room is all decked out. We actually did a border of signed 8x10 photos. I sent out almost 50 requests. And EVERY driver sent an autographed photo back to me. Only cost me return postage...Try that with other pro athletes.

My thoughts on the race. I was pissed Gordon got whacked a few times. And Stewart...if he would stop being so aggresive he could win every race. Eveytime he got sent back he would get right back into it. My wife likes him. But, went ballistic when he only got a "back to the longest line penalty", she thought he deserved a pit drive through penalty. Were both not fans of Kenseth. But, he was robbed. As for Johnson. My wife can't stand him either. Maybe, thats why I will root for him if he is leading and Gordon or Sadler are out. You have to give him credit where its due. He has been pretty consistent the past few years.

Steve, have you ever gone to a race? I have only gone to a dirt track race here in NJ. Its were we met Dale jr & Truex. He lives around here and started there. We have a friend who works for Fox Sports. She said she can get us tickets to the Fox vip box. So I am hoping to hit Dover.

3. Steve Kuester

I've never been to a Nascar race, but would love to go at some point. It would be great to go this year, with this being Mark Martin's final season. But I don't know when or how I would swing it with me having recently gone back to school. Chicago would be the closest, but they make you buy a yearlong pass for all of their races, and I understand its a pretty tough ticket to get. Maybe Kansas in the fall. I definitely know I need to go to a race at some point.

That's cool about the photos, the sport in general seems to treat the fans really well.

4. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I have followed for a few years as well. Kind of fell into being a fan. I manage a body shop at a Chevy Dealer, so most of my co-workers are fans. Every year one of the Parts guys used to put together a pool for Daytona, and a few years ago I drew Jerry Nadeau. Well he sucked, but I held onto him for a couple years. We also started betting a pop every week on the race, there were about 4 of us, and at the end of the season the leader got a steak lunch on the rest of the betting group. Then my wife and I had a chance to go to the Winston on a Dupont weekend. (The race where Harvick walked out on the track and chucked his helmet at, I think it was Kenseth...) We toured Hendricks Motorsports, and I kinda started rooting for Jimmie Johnson, and have been ever since. (Although, to be fair I kept Nadeau officially through the season for our weekly bets.)
    So, I was stoked that Jimmie won Daytona, and of course rubbed it in the one service tech's face, he's a fan of Smoke's. I can't stand that jerkoff...(Tony, I mean)
    He's the first one to bitch when some pushes him around, but hes the most aggressive driver out there.

Great thread.

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I watch for the commercials, but they manage to sprinkle in parts of the races, here and there.

Bruce

6. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

I've been a big NASCAR fan since about 1989 and a race fan since about 1970. My dad took me to the Indy time trials for the first time in 1970. I go to the two Michigan NASCAR races and the Brickyard 400 each year and also the Indy 500 and Michigan IRL race. I have also been to Las Vegas and Talladega.

Starting last year, my friend and I bought seats in the Champions Club at Michigan and have not regretted it. Except for the suites, media and spotters, they are the best seat in the house and come with excessive amenities. The also come with pit passes.

I'm not much of a Jimmy Johnson fan. I think he is a good driver, but everything is always great with him and nothing is his or his teams fault. It is his mantra with each interview. I can't take anything away from his success though. Ever since Terry Labonte retired (didn't he retire?) I have latched onto Ryan Newman. I am also a Purdue Engineer so that probably has something to do with it.

I thought the race wasn't too bad. I think Tony Stewart stepped in it by doing just what he has been complaining about. NASCAR will handle this just like they handle all other matters. Amongst themselves. They own the sport (and about a third of the tracks) and rule with an iron hand. I was upset when Casey Mears did not run with Ryan at the end, but it worked out for him. Ryan needed help since Busch was no longer there, and he couldn't get it. Third is a definitely a good finish though.

I look forward to discussion in this thread. I'm particularly interested in some of the technical aspects. What do people think of The Car of the Future? I think that there are just too many similarities in the cars now and real racing and close finishes are hard to come by. Does anybody else feel the same? I look forward to discussions.

Jeff

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I thought some of the commercials were better than the ones shown during the Superbowl.

Especially the Bud Light ones...

"Are you with the band?...No, just here for the Bud Lights"

8. Steve Kuester

I think the 4 race suspension for Knauss was right, but there should've been a points deduction as well. That's what they did for Todd Berrier (Harvick's crew cheif) last year. I also thought they should've docked Stewart points for what he did to Kenseth. A couple years ago they docked Junior some points because he intentionally spun himself out to get a caution. Isn't intentionally wrecking a competitor at 190mph a bit worse than what Junior did? Just a thought.

Jeff, I am also quite interested in the Car of Tomorrow. Aside from all the saftey innovations within the car, it's supposed to put on a better show by not having the car be so aero-dependent. They've got some sort of front "air-dam" (I think that's what they call it) that should minimize the aero effects when following another car closely in the corner. In theory this will keep the front tires firmly planted on the pavement and do away with the single-file parade that we see every now and again. I believe the 2007 spring Bristol race will be the first time they use the COT.

Do you guys ever check out Nascar.com? Every Wednesday before a race they list their power rankings, and usually they're good for a laugh or two. Some of what they say still goes over my head since I think you need to follow nascar very closely to get all their inside jokes.

Here is the link for this week.. (I've never linked anything here beore, hopefully it works)
    http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/features/power_rankings/02/21/fontana/index.html

They've got a running joke going about Stewart being a little overweight/eating too much. It shows up this week by Kyle Busch. Funny stuff.

Anyway, thanks for responding. This should be fun over the course of the season.

9. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I also look forward to a weekly discussion with you guys, (in truth I hadn't even thought of that at all.), but it will be interesting as the season pans out.
    Steve, I check NASCAR.com weekly, and read a few articles as my time allows. They've got some interesting stuff.
    I like how you can compare driver against driver. I have not subscribed to TRACKPASS, but would love to look at some of the exclusive video and commentary.

Till California...

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

11. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

Steve, NASCAR has never been consistent with their penalties. Their rule enforcement has also been all over the MAP. This is a product of the France family owning everything. They really answer to nobody and make rulings and dole out punishment at their whim. I think for the most part, they are fair and don't try to play favorites, although I'm sure others will disagree. The unfortunate thing is that it can give the series the WWE Wrestling look. I don't think for a minute that NASCAR is fixed, but to novices and those who don't follow on a regular basis, it can look that way at first glance.

All in all, NASCAR is pretty fair and in my opinion, the lack of consistency is part of the series' unique character. It sure leads to a lot of discussion and analysis.

Jeff

12. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

I have 4 tickets for the Spring Bristol. These are Cup and Busch in DW section X row 54 Isle seats.
    Total for 8 tickes are $572 plus $8 to cover mail with sig.
    These are face value
    raveATusit.net

13. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Big NASCAR fan here, too! I gotinto it back in 98 because I watched a race with my brother and had a great time.

Gordon's my boy, he's only a couple of victories away from tying Dale Earnhardt's wins, that makes me damn proud! The Gordon haters can boo him or call him any name they like, but they can't deny his talent.

The Daytona 500 was alright, a decent race but the weather was so bad that you could barely see anything. [​IMG] Don't get me started on Stewart, I can't stand him and think that he is a loose cannon that will seriously hurt or kill someone eventually if nobody puts a leash on that clown. Look at what he did to Matt Kenseth in the 500, if Kenseth had been struck on the drivers side head-on when he went back up the track after Stewart' bullshit, he wouldn't have survived.

My other favs are Dale Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Carl Edwards and Bobby LeBonte. [​IMG]

14. David McGough

I have been going to Races for 20 years. I always was DE fan
    I was in his fan club ect ect. I tried to get on the Jr.
    wagon but I have just lost interest. It is just not the same.
    All the new young faces young guns. I don't even know the numbers like I use to... I still watch some races,

15. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Kneseth makes up for any shortcomings last week ! Can't say I'm sad to see Mr Stewart blow an engine....

What was the late Black Flag about ? (it was my wife's BDay, so I missed a few laps).

Gotta say, the moisture-laden DAB 500 was much more exciting. Still wondering how much HP they lost last week due to the track/intake being hampered and keeping the field much more even.

16. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I'll say this though: unless a Chevrolet team starts getting really hot like Tony Stewart did last year (Jimmy Johnson just might do it this year), we'll have another Roush team win the championship this year. The combination of Roush body design and Robert Yates motors is an unbeatable combination at 66% of the tracks NASCAR races on, which will be hard to beat.

17. David McGough

Bristol Tickets are SOLD

18. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I missed that part also. But, from what I read he blew a cylinder and was black flagged when his car couldn't keep minimum speeds. Sucks for him..he was on his way to winning that race.

19. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I was always a Bill Elliot fan but I lost interest when NASCAR and RJR split and the Nextel Cup came about.

20. Steve Kuester

A few thoughts...

1. Does anyone else think its a little odd for the Cup cars to have a weekend off after just the 2nd race of a 36 race season? All the teams were saying that the real season begins at California, then bam, a week off. Doesn't make sense to me.

2. I think there are pros and cons to both Fox and NBC when it comes to race coverage.

Fox pros...
    I think DW and Larry Mac are VERY knolwedgeable when it comes to what they see on the racetrack.
    The broadcast picture (HD) and sound are better than NBC.

Fox cons...
    Fox really only covers the big stars of the sport. Did we ever even hear about Scott Riggs with a top 20 after not making the show last week, Bobbly Labonte struggling after such high expectations for Petty Enterprises, Terry Labonte really struggling with HOF racing?
    Jeff Hammond is very intelligent with regard what he talks about, but I don't think he's funny and I wish he would stop trying to be.

NBC pros...
    They cover many more drivers over the course of a race compared to Fox.
    I think their pit reporters do a better job.
    Wally does a decent job in the booth.

NBC cons...
    BP and Bill Webber have GOT to go. I swear sometimes its like I'm watching a different race than what they are.
    NBC is constantly coming back from commercial after the green on a restart.

Overall, I perfer Fox a bit more than NBC. What do you guys think?

3. Good weekend to be a Mark Martin fan. A win in the trucks and a top ten in Cup. Although the late race "debris" cautions drive me nuts because he always seems to lose a spot or two on every restart.

Sorry for the long post, I guess I had alot to say.