What's new

NASA is working with Tom Cruise to shoot a film in outer space (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Tom Cruise wants to fly into outer space in the name of filmmaking, and NASA says it's happening.
The head of NASA confirmed Tuesday that the space agency is working with actor Tom Cruise to make a movie on the International Space Station. A NASA spokesperson also confirmed to CNN Business that Cruise will launch into space and stay aboard the station, a multibillion-dollar laboratory that orbits about 250 miles above Earth.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One day Tom Cruise is going to hurt himself badly with one of his movies. Don't know, sounds unnecessary. If they want to shoot inside the Space Station, they can make the exact same set on Earth.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, did Tom say something bad about your sister? I don’t get the hate for Tom Cruise.
It's Elon Musk that I can't stand. I like Tom Cruise alot (those Mission Impossible movies are thrilling because of his insistence on doing the stunts) but I think Cruise has had so much success in life that he thinks that he can do virtually anything without serious consequence and I'm afraid that that coupled with some nonsense that Musk dreams up will get Cruise killed.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Cruise has obviously become an adrenaline junkie. It's his life and his choice on how he lives and loses it. If he does go out, I guess he will be able to say that he risked, survived and enjoyed a lot of experiences that

1) most people will never have the opportunity to even choose
2) that most people probably wouldn't choose to do even if they could, since challenging death looks foolish to them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I take it you haven't seen the show 'Scientology and the Aftermath'?
That’s his personal life. As an actor I think he’s quite good in the roles he plays. That’s what I care about. If I didn’t like his acting, I still wouldn’t “hate” him.

Mredwards

Agent
Real Name
Matt

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DXJd2ADDjnf3nwufwNEVIY519iAtv3CJ6h_xak-RP1scbotRe06qnzq4TgwFbbUHORm71edLcqlF1gouDkGj0sPcvC5z6jq1aq3szfN0QCsnhjPaTejv3ltkwkd-s69MWeDfD87lyKU

Oh now I get it! The outside I get. It's not about CG. My concern was about inside the space station. You can physically create the inside set on Earth as good as the real one. But now I found a good reason! ZERO G! There is no substitue for the real ZERO G. You can't create it. They can do great long Zero G shots inside the station.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Apollo 13 managed zero G without actually going into space. Sure they could do longer shots on the station, but it seems like a waste to send him up there for an extended zero G shot.

That said, if I were him I'd go in a heartbeat.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Apollo 13 did the next closest thing - hundreds of dives in the “vomit comet” where they achieve zero G for a couple moments at a time.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I doubt this is going to happen for a while at least.

When the pandemic subsides, Cruise is already committed to filming two more Mission Impossible movies, which were supposed to be shooting this summer pre-coronavirus. If the production shutdown ends relatively quickly, and he were to shoot this space project immediately after finishing those, the earliest this film could possibly come out would be maybe 2023 sometime. Both of those ifs feel unlikely. I'm down to see this if he makes it, but I'd much rather see him and Emily Blunt find time to make the Edge of Tomorrow sequel.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
A space sequence would fit well into a MI film.

I know that Elon Musk polarises opinion (like a lot of people!), but he is a visionary genius and I, for one, look forward to the Crew Dragon launch later this month. He, almost single handedly, is driving our future in space.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A space sequence would fit well into a MI film.

I know that Elon Musk polarises opinion (like a lot of people!), but he is a visionary genius and I, for one, look forward to the Crew Dragon launch later this month. He, almost single handedly, is driving our future in space.
Yeah, Musk is a doozy sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks