Narrowing down the list of amps...Need some help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rein, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Well, I've been doing some research on a few amps, and it came down to the following (in no particular order)

Parasound HCA-2205AT

Aragon 2005/2007 (I know they're coming soon)

Rotel 1095

Anthem MCA-50

B&K Reference 7250/7270

What I plan on doing is using my Yamaha 2095 as a pre/pro and one of the above amps. I will be upgrading to either an Anthem AVM-20, Aragon Stage One, Lexicon MC-1 or MC-12 (if I get the extra cash!) or any other decent pre/pro that comes out by years end.

Anyway, the amp will be powering 3 M&K S-150's and 2 M&K SS-150's (all rated 4 ohms).

Any suggestions on the above, or do you have any other recommendations? Anything that was presented at CES that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Chris

2. Sam Sugob

Sam Sugob Auditioning

Hi Chris,

Since no one has helped you, I'd thought I'd try. Of those amps you mentioned, I like the Parasound 2205 and the BK or Rotel with your speakers. Personally, I had a bad experience with the Anthem MCAs, but I understand that they fixed that problem since my trial. Finally, you might also try the ATI 1505 amp which you can get for around $1100(I like this amp) and the Outlaw Audio 755 or 770 amps, neither of which I've heard but which have received good reviews from many including HTF guy Robert A. Folkes.

3. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

Hey Chris,
    With the list of amps you gave my vote would go to either the Aragon or the B&K. There is nothing wrong with the others you have on your list, but my experience has been both Aragon and B&K are a step above the others.[​IMG]

4. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

The current generation Aragons have been trickling out of ubid, like the acurus line did about 6 months ago when Klipsch cancelled them. The 8008x5 has been selling in the $1800-$2100 range. Just another option at a decent price.

5. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Chris,

All nice amps you listed! My feeling is that out of all the ones you listed, my last preference would be the Anthem. Its known to be very revealing or some might say bright but I haven't actually listened to one.

If money's not an issue the Aragon would probably be the best bet, great amps.

I have the Parasound 2205 mated with a Lex mc-1 along with nht speakers and love it. I went through about 10-12 different amps believe it or not before I found the EXACT sound I was looking for from an amp. The parasound qualities are its very dynamic and revealing but at the same time smooth and warm..I never was able to get that combination from any other amp I had owned..Hope this helps

PS. Beware the parasound runs very warm and may require a fan.

6. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

My take on the ATI is that it is more suited to an exclusive HT setup, rather than music. A very detailed (bright) amp. I use Rotel, but then we listen to music with our home theater more than we watch DVDs. Rotel seem to be warm, not as detailed as the ATI.

7. Joe Mollura

Joe Mollura Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    I have heard the 1095 many times and would highly recommend it for a great 2channel/HT amp. You may also want to add Outlaws new 755 (5x200 $1299)to your list at that price it could be a real bargain.

8. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Chris,

I'll chime in here. I would recommend the Rotel or B&K. I currently have the Lexicon/Rotel combo with NHTs and it is great. It is even a little bright at times for my tatse. I would say the Rotel or B&K will help to warm up your system a bit. The ATI is a great option but it will definitely bring out all the brightness you care to have. Same with any older Aragon or Acurus. I do not know anything about the new models but I owned older Acurus/Aragon products and they tend to be on the bright side of neutral. The B&K is another option that will fall into the same category as the Rotel. It all depends on what you are looking for in your sound, DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS or warm musical sound.

9. John Tompkins

I must chime in again. Having owned the rotel rb-993 which is basically the 3 channel version of the rb-1095, It is my opinion that the parasound is warmer then the rotel. At least in my system with my nht 2.9 towers the rotel was nice but a little bright as compared to the parasound..Just my opinion so take it for what its worth

Also out of all the amps I have owned the parasound was the only one to strike a perfect combination between HT and music, all others were either good in one field or the other.Having owned the following: Chiro c-500{weak}, rotel rb-993{sorta bright}, rotel rb-985 {stay away from}, carver 4.0t{too warm}, carver thx-753{very nice!}, sherbourn 5/1500{nice but not as smooth as parasound}, HKpa5800{nice but lacking power}

, nhtsa-3{good sub amp}, parasound 1201{not really parasound},chiro c-300{same as c-500}, McCormack dna-1 deluxe{not good for HT}, Sherwood am9080{amazing amp for the money!} and am probably forgetting a few others.

10. Joe e h

Joe e h Stunt Coordinator

I was down to the B&K, Rotel and Parasound. I went with the Rotel. It should be here on Tuesday. If I had to narrow it down to 2 choices it would be the rotel and parasound.

I am using a Yamaha 2090 for the Pre/Pro for now. I am looking to upgrade to a new Pre/Pro around late summer.

Joe

11. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

12. John Tompkins

Evan,

You caught me, I broke my rule of only speaking to that which I have listened. Which were all the amps I listed except the anthem. See, thats the problems with reading reviews, they are all so system and preference subjective. I'm glad you like the anthem amp, as I was an inch of getting this before I finally found "my" permanent amp which is the parasound.

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

John, don't worry about it. In fact, I was known to give the exact same advice when it came to the MCA line prior to actually putting it into my system. I bought it solely on good reviews and the benefit of getting a great deal. After purchasing the amp (but not being able to implement it into my system due to the lack of a processor), I read the MCA line was great for HT, but lacking in music. I also heard the revealing/bright comments surrounding the MCA line and have to admit I was worried prior to getting the AVM-20. I must say thought, this amp is great for the price. I'm sure there are better amps out there. I'm sure with my limited comparison knowledge that I might not know what I'm missing with a different amp. But what I can comment on is the perceived brightness of this combo and I just don't think it's there. Dynamic, yes. Bright or forward..not really. I guess that's a fine line, but I believe the Anthem amp steps on the warmer side of line...more towards neutrality than brightness. Like I said, if you hooked everything up with another processor, YMMV.
    Happy Listening[​IMG]

14. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Wow!

Thanks for all the replies. FWIW, I'm leaning towards the Parasound, but I saw that they have their "Halo" line coming out sometime this year. I kind of like the silver look! And from my selections, a few of the amps & pre/pros can come in silver too.

I'd love to go test all of the amps out, but no one has them on display in my area. I have witnessed only one, the Rotel 1095, and I was impressed.

Another question is arising...can all amps be rack-mounted? No biggie, but it's good to know.

Thanks!

Chris

15. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

16. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Hey John, if it makes you feel better, I was watching MTV Cribs last night and Keyshawn Johnson was showing off his audio system. They scanned his equipment so fast that I didn't get to really see much of it, but what I did see was that he uses a couple of 2205AT's. If the self proclaimed best wide receiver in football uses Parasound, surely your decision was a wise one, no?

17. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

What is this "Halo" line of amps coming out from Parasound? Do you think this will drive down prices of existing amps when the new line is released? Or, is it simply another syle of amp and they'll continue to produce the 2205..

18. John Tompkins

Evan,
    Maybe Chris should just tell Keswhawn Johnson to give him the dam amps[​IMG]
    MikeT,
    I dont know about the new halo series, but I wouldnt look for the prices on the older parasound amps to drop as they can already be gotten new for about 65% of retail now.

19. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

20. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

don't think that just b/c a high profile athlete has something it is the best, I was watchin cribs once and the guy was all talking about how "dope" his Bose system was