Narrowed it down, what do you think...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Trot, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Chris Trot

Chris Trot Stunt Coordinator

I've narrowed down by cd player choices to the Cambridge 300SE and the Nad C521i and would like to know, which one of these to get. I can get the Nad for about $50 cheaper than the 300SE.

2. Chris Trot

Someone here has to know something........

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Believe it or not, this is kind of esoterica at this point. Not many folks are springing for CD-only players these days, particularly single disk. I'd say you're own your own with the decision.

4. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Well, Like someone said most are not getting CD players,but DVD players that play CD. But if I were going to get a CD player I would get a Rotel[​IMG]

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I dunno, I looked at the 300 and the NAD, and although I didn't listen to them both in comparison (different stores), I can't say one way or the other. I ended up getting the NAD 521i because it seemed a little better-built, and has a good reputation, and on its own it is a great player. So, I can't recommend it specifically over the cambridge, but I'd imageine that they are both great. The difference from an old generic sony changer to the NAD was actually quite significant. FYI, the rest of my system is a marantz receiver, and Paradigm mini-monitors.

I like the NAD a lot, although there is one quirk that I do not like. That is that the decoder in the player seems like it doesn't "catch on" the data if you acess a track directly, for the first half a second. It's not usually an issue, but there are those songs that have a drumbeat or whatnot right in the beginning, that you miss if you skip ahead to that track. Because of this, and because I couldn't tell any difference between the dacs in the player and in the marantz, I am using the digital connection, and once the marantz catches each new disk, it doesn't miss anything if you skip around between tracks. I still love the player and recommend it wholeheartedly. If you can, I would recommend a side-by side audition, but it wasn't feasible for me. There was just no way that I would hear a difference in different stores on differents amps, speakers, etc. I think either way you will be happy.

6. Chris Trot

Thanks for the info...any other suggestions or maybe even some other players to consider.