Narrowed it down to SVS PB2+ Vs. 20-39pc +

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Christopher_Ham, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

I have narrowed my choice down to the 20-39PC+ and the Pb2+. For my large room, which is the better sub, price and asthetics aside. My normal listining will not require much more output than maybe 105 db, but an occasional demo to friends may go louder. My ceilings are 12ft. Your responses will strongly influence my desicion since I know of nobody in my area who owns one that I could demo. Also, is the EQ that is offered by SVS for $119 a good investment. Has anybody effectively made a significant difference by using it? I heard the SVS Ultra might be a consideration also, anybody have this sub?

Chris

2. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Have you considered the PBisd, currently on pre-order? I would wait to see if you really need the EQ.

also have you dropped and email to [email protected] ?

I am sure they would be happy to recommend the right sub for you. all they need is your room size. They will recommend a sub but they will sell you which ever sub you want. great guys over there.

Personally I think the PB2isd is a bargain.

scott

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Chris,

"price and aesthetics aside", the clear winner in this case is the PB2 plus, especially in a larger room. Same woofer, but two of 'em, more enclsosure space, and more power. That said, what's your cubic footage? You state 12 foot ceilings, but is this in an 8 X 10 room, or 25 X 30? Also, is the footprint important? The 20-39 has a smaller footprint if space is a major concern.

As to the ART 351, I have the unit and like it very much (one day I hope to upgrade to the Rane, but that's down the road). I had a couple of areas in my room that really needed taming, and the ART did the job well. As Scott pointed out, though, wait 'til you get your sub, then find out how flat (or not) your response is before deciding to expend the money and enery in EQ'ing your room.

-Robb

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Robb:

This guy has an immense room. 1,000 ft2 x 12' ceilings = 12,000 ft3, not counting openings to other rooms.

If I had a 12,000 ft3 room, it would be PB2+ all the way and I would leave it in the 3/25 tune for maximum safe room filling capability. It takes a LOT of sub to move air in a 12,000 ft3 room.

The PB2+ in the native 3/25 tune will not have quite the deep extension of the 20-39PC+ (in-room 22 Hz vs. 18 Hz), but it can be tuned in the 2/20 configuration and have equal or better extension and still better the 20-39PC+ by about 4 dB across the board.

Yes, the PB2-ISD is a steal and according to Tom V is only about 2-3 dB behind the PB2+ in overall output and of course has the same extension points at all tuning configurations. That might be an option also.

Regards,

Ed

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Yikes! At 12,000 cubic feet I'd guess the footprint is certainly inconsequential! I'd say the best choice between these two subs is clear.

6. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

So this room is over 32x32x12 or 28x36x12.