What's new

Narrowed down to 4 receivers now I need your help. (1 Viewer)

Tyler_R

Grip
Hey,

I have narrowed my choices in receivers down to four. I interested in the Denon AVR-1803, Harmon Kardon AVR-320, Harmon Kardon AVR-510, and the Onkyo TX-SR600. I would like to know what everyone thinks about each model and what they would recommend for my speakers. I have the JBL S312's as mains with the S-Center in the middle and a pair of S310's as rears. I would also like to know if anyone has personally had a bad experience with one of the receivers listed above. I will use the receiver mostly for DVD's.

Thanks,

Tyler Richenberger

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Wow... I have a strikingly similar speaker arangement... just smaller rears (N-26s). Well, I can honestly say that after having a few hours of in-room experience with the Denon 1802, I am thuroughly impressed with it and would not hesitate to recommend it in and of itself...

As far as compared to the others, the only other one I have heard is the H/K 320, and in that case I like the sound of the 1802 better, but not by a wide margin. Unfortunately I havent tested out the 1802 on LARGE speakers like our S-312s, so I'm not sure if the power difference is worth it alone, because the H/K has some nice features and more decoding options... up to 7.1 if you ever upgrade to that.

My personal preference overall (considering price) would be the 1802, but if you like the H/K, by all means spend an extra few bucks for it. It would make a splendid pre/pro if you ever went the route of a seperate amp.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 510 has been discontinued for some time now, replaced by the 520. Out of those listed, the 510 is easily the best and also the most expensive, though it is only capable of 5.1, while the others are all 6.1. I have seen no official date for the release of the 1803.

Tyler_R

Grip
Hey,

Used AVR-510's are going on ebay for about $350.00. I am not really interested in 6.1. so they are really in the same price range. Would you recommend me picking up a used 510 over the others. If you have or have used the 510 I would like to know what you think.

Thanks,

Tyler

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi Tyler,
I've posted so many times on this I'm sure people are getting tired of reading it...but I have the 510 and love it. As John Garcia said, of the ones mentioned it is easily the best. I believe John demoed the 510 and several Marantz models and went with Marantz 6200 out of personal preference, especially with Music. I did the same thing and went with the 510, partly because of the sound, partly because I already owned the 310 and loved that, and lastly because at that time it was $425 delivered from Ubid with a 2 year H/K warranty.
The real bonus with the 510 or any 5 series is the Main Ins. You can use this receiver from now 'til doomsday because it can function separately as a 5 channel amp. How many receivers deliver this level of quality and this kind of flexibility anymore?
I now have it paired with an 855A from Parasound and use it as a pre/pro. But I can assure you, I bought the amp simply because it was a closeout steal from Ubid, $325 delivered. I really didn't need it for the power or sound quality as the 510 has excellent amps to go with it's excellent processing.
Can you tell I like H/K? :)

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
A small note of caution re: HK 510, a fair number of people have had problems with this receiver. Not all, but a significant number. The good ones are very good. The HK 320 has a much better reputation, has more than enough power, has lots of great features, is a current model (not very far from being discontinued), and is only slightly more $ than the used 510... Just a thought or two.

Tyler_R

Grip
Hey,

What type of problems have people had with the 510? and dose the 320 have anything that the 510 dose not?

Thanks,

Tyler

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Tyler,

I don't know what problems Doug is referring to...not saying that they didn't have any when they were new...but I haven't had any from mine. It might pay you to do a search on this forum under '510' and see what comes up. You'll have to go back quite a ways.

As to the 320 vs 510...the 320 has 7.1 pre-outs, 6.1 DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix, DTS Neo:6 (but 5 channel amping like the 510) so you need an external amp for any extra channels. It also has DPL2 and slightly higher component video bandwidth.

The 510 has 5.1 pre-outs and no extra DD & DTS processing but does have HDCD decoding, Main Amp Inputs and more power of course.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Paul

The 320 along with all you mentioned has DD-ES also,,, or dose it not?????

Regards
Geoff

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Geoff,

(You're absolutely right, buddy...DD-ES Discrete and Matrix.
Ooops! :b Sorry for the omission.)

Edit: Now that I think about it...I'm not sure whether the 320 has any extended DD processing. Somebody straighten me out quick.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Paul im sure also ment DTS-EX, or was trying a double combo sneaky. DTS-ES. Kinda covers both. ;)
You got mail Mr. Paul
Geoff

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Go for the 510. Why? Because you don't need more than 5.1. You're also getting a 5 channel amp for future use. HDCD will make your CD's sound even better. The extra amp power will make your JBL's sound better. Etc, etc, etc.

I have purchased from Harman Audio as have many others... I have no problems to report. Any dealings I have had with H/K service such as tech ???'s have been handled promptly. They even sent me a new 520 remote when I reported a problem with the old one which it turned out was a false alarm.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
To be honest with you, I don't know the specific problems.
:b
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I've heard of receivers shutting down, failure of the amps,etc. Not minor stuff but major stuff. Heard this was due to HK's transition to manufacturing in China. But.....
The reason I'm not keyed in on the specifics is that I was actually interested in the 520 and was looking at what kinds of problems it might be having. (Those have been primarily with the remote.)
As for the 510 VS. the 320, it would depend on what is more important to you; more power vs. more (and more updated) features.
As for buying from Harmon Audio, why not? They would be inclined to take care of you. For $499 you can get a new one from jandr.com (authorized dealer).

Tyler_R

Grip
Hey,

I was going to order the 510 this week from Harman Audio for $448 but when I checked their site this mourning I noticed that they had taken it down and that it is no longer available on-line. I emailed them and they said it is not available at this time.

So what should I do? Dose anyone know were I can pick up a 510 in the $450 range? This is the receiver I really wanted but if I can't get it in that price range I guess I am open to suggestions again.

Is there anything that compares to the AVR-510 for around $450?

Thanks,

Tyler

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Tyler,
Check back at the website in a week or so. They routinely cycle through products and get fresh supplies.
Looks like somebody's got one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1377488011
Not too bad...if you can get a copy of the invoice you're good to go with the warranty.
If you can't wait for Harman to resupply or going Ebay doesn't sound good, try this:
http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...t_name=Marantz
You can't go wrong with the sound from either one of these receivers. With the 5200 you get the extra channel and processing but lose the separate amp capability of the 510.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I'd still look at the HK320. It doesn't have quite as much power but will do just about everything else the 520 will do "including DTS-ES 6.1 surround sound; 8-channel direct inputs; wideband, HDTV-ready component video switching; 7.1 preamp outputs; 6 digital inputs and 3 digital outputs; a front-panel digital input that can be switched to output mode; 192kHz/24-bit D/A converters, and Harman Kardon's patented EzSet™ remote control" (compare them at harmankardon.com). jandr.com has them for $499.
They have more than enough power for your present speakers.

Tyler_R

Grip
Hey,

I asked the guy on ebay about the a receipt and this is what he told me:

[c]"I don't have the receipt, but since it was bought, from Harmon Kardon direct, I doubt the warranty is an issue. I bought two Harmons to have the latest and the greatest, but its way more than I need, These two units are in new condition, I guarantee it!"[/c]

Do you think that I would have a problem with the warranty if the product malfunctioned? Right now it is at $429 do you consider this a good buy or not?

Thanks,

Tyler Richenberger

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Considering he says "bought direct from H/K direct & less than 2 weeks old" seems as though he should have a reciept to photo copy at least. Odd to loose it, the reciept that quick for 2 H/K Receivers...!

I'd be wary, don't buy unless he can produce something that shows the "Purchase and Date" of "THAT" H/K~Receiver!

Just my opinon....

Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks