Narrowed down to 3 brand choices...Help a newbie out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Gio, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Rich Gio

Rich Gio Extra

I'm setting up a home theater on a budget. I've read some posts and narrowed my choices down. I'm looking for good sound (movies AND music) on the EXTREMELY cheap.Speakers will be used for front.

I've narrowed the choices to:

1) JBL S-26 found 'em for 180$/pair

2) BIC DV-62SI found 'em for 114$/pair

3) HTD level 2 or 3 any major differences?

If these speakers were the ONLY ones available,which would YOU pick? (please don't say "save for Paradigm, DefTech, Klipsch etc". IE Audiophiles snobs need not apply)

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

As a self-proclaimed audiophile snob, I would recommend the Home Theater Direct speakers out of the three available to choose from.

And, I will agree with you on a point. If a person is asking advice about products a, b, or c, they don't exactly want to hear "save up for such and such". They are buying NOW. "Saving up" can come later. Good luck.

3. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Rich,

First, I would compare the S-26 frequency response graph to that of the

highly regarded N-28. As I recall, the N-28s have a very flat frequency response

for speakers in this price range.

Choice as I see it:

S-26 = 180USD/pair

N-28 = 195USD/pair

I like my N-38s,

JRS

4. Rich Gio

Rich Gio Extra

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't mean any offense by the "audiophile snob" statement. There are those out there that feel NOTHING sounds good unless it has a particular label on it. I'm just looking for some "bang for my buck".I'm in 2 expensive hobbies.Home theater and marine reef aquariums. I'm trying to do both on the budget of one...LOL.

I'll probably go with the HTD level II.