What's new

Narrow space and setting up a 2 channel system.... (1 Viewer)

jwh6f

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Hi all, I recently built a TV stand out of hardwood, and being a audio initiate, I made a large oversight of making it too narrow. Most amps are deep and tall! I planned on putting a home theater am or two channel amp in a cabineted area below my satellite box, but I made this area only 12.5 inches deep. I planned on opening the doors of the cabinet when I wanted to use the receiver or floor speakers, giving me the option of using the TV for regular viewing. I want a system that: ...is two channel (ok if the amp drives more channels that I won't use but I really only want two channels). ...drives two floorstanding polks, klipsh, theils or JBLs. I don't need HUGE volumes, as I am not a headbanger, and I will be doing a lot of late night listening/classical/piano at low volumes. That said, I would like it to fill my 25 foot long room, if need be. Soundstage, dynamics, and clarity for TV and music is more important than volume, power, and thump. ...integrates into TV and blue ray player fairly well. I would like to play mp3s over the TV with my remote, via a usb drive. This is the least important. I recently saw the Harmon Kardon BDS 2.1 series of amps. http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=BDS%202 %20SO/120 They are narrow and small. However, I have some questions: 1. Will this amp drive floorstanding speakers? (stereo mode: 65 watts per channel, 20Hz – 20kHz, @

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
1 and 2) Seems like the H/K BDS series meets your needs. At 10 1/4 inches deep and allow an inch for cabling it will fit. Lucky for you, H/K has a reputation for being conservative with their power ratings. That said, 65wpc in 6 ohms is a good thing for 8 ohm speakers. Not a good thing for 4 ohm speakers. In other words, you can go up, but now down when looking at ohm ratings unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer. I know of no other shallow "book shelf" system that does Home Theater well. I'm guessing the H/K is using class D digital amps to save space. Nothing wrong with that.

jwh6f

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Thank you so much for your generous and knowledgeable reply. I ordered the HK this afternoon. The furniture is beautiful, despite my silly design flaw. Though I could "modify" the furniture, a solid piece of nicely-figured hardwood would be a heartbreaking thing to destroy.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
jwh6f said:
Thank you so much for your generous and knowledgeable reply. I ordered the HK this afternoon. The furniture is beautiful, despite my silly design flaw. Though I could "modify" the furniture, a solid piece of nicely-figured hardwood would be a heartbreaking thing to destroy.
I hear you. In my old house, the previous owner had built-ins done next to the fireplace that were only 12" deep not giving me enough room for my AVR at the time. Lucky for me, the back of the built-in was simply painted wall which I was able to cut out and box in giving me another 4 1/2". It wasn't pretty but with the AVR in place, nobody could see that the extra 4" didn't match the built-in 100%. :) In my new house, I made sure the built-ins had ample room to fit my entire system with room for expansion. Good thing as those Emotiva amps take up a lot of room and need to breath!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks