narcoleptism

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Nov 10, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i just finished watching "rat race" and rowan atkinson's character fell asleep a few times while he was standing. he was funny as hell.

but is it real? i mean, do narcoleptic people fall asleep all of a sudden like that?

2. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    My old roommate works with one and says he's fallen asleep instantaneously in the middle of meetings before. He also did it once while driving. [​IMG]

3. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

yeah, i saw a show on it ( a Real documentary), but the cool thing is that the people with really serious cases who fall asleep like 20 times a day get "guide dogs" that can actually detect when the person is about to fall asleep and then make sure that person is in a safe situation... Pretty smart dogs...

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Narcoleptics tend to suddenly fall asleep when in emotional or stressful situations. Heck, somebody could tell them a joke, and in the middle of laughing get laid out on the floor!
    Makes me wonder about their sex life. [​IMG]
    Reference: William Dement's "The Promise of Sleep"

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I went to school with a narcoleptic and we were both in band and orchestra. Often times he'd fall asleep in the middle of playing and I'd have to nudge him to wake him up. He was a really great player, when he wasn't falling asleep that is!

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

It's actually Narcolepsy
    --
    Holadem