What's new

Napoleon (2023) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Kind of stunning how fast Ridley can bring a picture like this to completion. To me a big historical epic like this that probably has Oscar potential makes sense as an end of year release. However, I would have more expected Christmas 2023 rather than Christmas 2022. I can't believe how fast this went from announcement to potential release date.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wait. Didn't realize Apple is paying for this. So is it actually getting a normal theatrical release, especially for such an epic???

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Indiewire disputes that this will be released this year:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/09/apple-napoleon-wont-release-in-2022-despite-report-1234766781/

Despite a new report by The Ankler suggesting otherwise, IndieWire sources close to the Ridley Scott biopic deny that the film will be released by Apple Studios in December in order to qualify for the 2023 Oscars. A source also tells IndieWire that the movie, which began shooting in February and wrapped in Europe in May, is not finished with post-production.

Apple has not officially dated the film, even for 2023.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Wait. Didn't realize Apple is paying for this. So is it actually getting a normal theatrical release, especially for such an epic???

_Man_

Honestly, a big epic production about Napoleon should be seen in a theater. I know this type of picture does not really fit with what is popular today but for all of us old school film buffs something like this requires a trip to the cinema.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

The infantry in that photo looks decidedly like they are in the Revolutionary period, judging by the hats. After the Empire and the Grand Armée were established, the infantry wore shakos (essentially like the what the hussar in my profile pic is wearing) instead of those bicorne hats. Some of the Italian Campaign was fought during the winter which could account for the snow. That photo could also depict the crossing of the Alps in 1800. The shot of Phoenix in the famous gray redingote could be from any period in his career from 1800 onwards. He is first shown wearing it in paintings of the Alps crossing and the battle of Marengo (1800). I am still thinking the movie will cover the early-ish years of Napoleon. In any case it looks quite promising.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Honestly, a big epic production about Napoleon should be seen in a theater. I know this type of picture does not really fit with what is popular today but for all of us old school film buffs something like this requires a trip to the cinema.

Think I'd like to see this in 70mm or at least on the giant IMAX in Lincoln Square here in Manhattan.

_Man_

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The infantry in that photo looks decidedly like they are in the Revolutionary period, judging by the hats. After the Empire and the Grand Armée were established, the infantry wore shakos (essentially like the what the hussar in my profile pic is wearing) instead of those bicorne hats. Some of the Italian Campaign was fought during the winter which could account for the snow. That photo could also depict the crossing of the Alps in 1800. The shot of Phoenix in the famous gray redingote could be from any period in his career from 1800 onwards. He is first shown wearing it in paintings of the Alps crossing and the battle of Marengo (1800). I am still thinking the movie will cover the early-ish years of Napoleon. In any case it looks quite promising.

Outstanding insights, David. I read somewhere that six battles will be touched upon and that Waterloo is not one of them so you are likely correct. I don't know how much of the battles we will see as six seems like a lot and this is meant to also get into his relationship with Josephine as well. Ridley can sometimes become obsessed with a subject when he makes a picture about it and I would not be stunned if he considered making more than one picture about Napoleon. Obviously whether or not he does is probably heavily reliant upon how this picture is received.

It has long been rumored that someone will shoot Kubrick's Napoleon script, which I obviously would love to see but there are questions as to if that happens and if it would be for TV or a theatrical release and now this picture has beaten it to the screen so that may sink it ever happening.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That is interesting and I would think it is so he can show it to an audience and then make whatever adjustments to it he feels it needs. I would be curious to know the running time of this cut.
GIven recent trends, I'd expect this to be in the 3-hour range as well.

YANG

Screenwriter
I doubt so... looking back @ Ridley's previous works, Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven... those that runs close or around 180mins length, seems to be only available only thru video media. Theatrical runs, seems to be capped to/around 150mins mark.

Unlike Cameron and Michael Bay, it's the producers giving in to them. Ridley, in my view, gives in to producers.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
GIven recent trends, I'd expect this to be in the 3-hour range as well.

Well, honestly to tell a story about Napoleon that includes 6 battles, and I don't know if that means we will see significant footage from each battle, and also get into his love life, I would expect a long run time. Although, as Yang says, Ridley seems to try to contain his running times. He may, as he has done with several of his pictures release a longer cut for home video because that makes some sense. For the theatrical I expect we will get his tightest cut.

I assume this will be an epic film with a running time to do justice to the material. Ridley is supposedly cutting in his head when he shoots, which I think is part of why he gets his pictures completed quickly. He knows the shots he wants and how he wants them to cut together. He has done this for such a long time and has handled this type of material many times, he knows exactly where he wants his cameras and what he needs to get.

With this film I want and expect a long picture. It would make no sense for this to be less than 2 1/2 hours. I mean if you are covering 6 battles in that time and his relationship with Josephine, in reality, 2 1/2 hours would probably feel like a sprint through that material. You would just be bullet pointing everything.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Has a theatrical release been confirmed? I forget if it was mentioned anywhere in this thread.

YANG

Screenwriter
splitting a single movie into 2 parts will have some effects on the response of the 2nd part.

John Woo's 2 4hrs flick faced such failures before.

by making a moderate length cut of a long story presentation, secures a certain percentage of box office response or earnings to be to cover certain costs. any versions after initial theatrical runs, might yield additional bonuses...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Possibly this should be split into two films of a couple of hours each. A 3-4 hour running time would put me off seeing this theatrically.

It is said his theatrical cut will hit the 2 1/2 hour mark. I think this would be what he had in mind. I would also think that a home release would allow for a longer cut which Ridley is no stranger to doing and has done on several occasions. He shot this so quickly though, I wonder beyond the 2 1/2 hours what there might be to add because I believe he shoots pretty tightly knowing exactly how he wants to cut it together. I would welcome two Napoleon pictures from him if he wants to do another.

Way back in the 1980s when we knew Kubrick had scrapped his Napoleon film, I recall hoping Scott would pick up the ball and make a picture about Napoleon. I think he talked about it several times. I am going to watch The Duelists this week because I have not seen that in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks