Napoleon TV Mini series : How good is it ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Derek_McL, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

I was thinking of buying the 3 DVD boxset of this being a bit of a Napoleonic fanatic. A six hour drama about the great man seems too good to miss. Amazon.com has mixed responses from purchasers : has anyone seen this or bought the DVD set ? I believe the extras include two documentaries about Bonaparte : Do these add significant value to the package ?

2. Juan M. Rico

Juan M. Rico Stunt Coordinator

Not sure about this, as I have not seen it. But since you are a Napoleon fanatic, I strongly recommend - that is, if you don't have it already - The Emperor's New Clothes , with Ian Holm. While not historically accurate, it is a great take on Napoleon's last days.

J

3. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

I haven't seen it either, but during the original airing in France, it was attacked by historians as being highly historicaly inaccurate, with events being compressed, moved 5-10 years after they toke place, or 5-10 years before. Including some "wild" (according to them anyway) theories about assassination plots, and so on...
    Much better (from what I heard) is "Monsieur N.", about the last months of the life of Napoleon (not out on DVD yet I think)

Cheers,

Vincent

4. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

I can do better than these guys since I have seen some of it. The beginning was very bad. I'm a big fan of period pieces and many of the ones done by A&E, and I was quite interested in watching this, as was my friend, but after a good 15 minutes we couldn't take it anymore. It's six hours long, so maybe it got better but what I saw was terrible.