Nanny McPhee...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tim Glover, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Her message is simple:
    "When you need me, but do not want me, then I will stay. When you want me, but do not need me, then I have to go." Upon explaining this, Nanny waits a beat and adds: "It's rather sad, really."

This one kind of went under my radar when it opened but my daughters and I took this in yesterday afternoon.

Very pleasantly surprised. At first, it was the "here we go again...motherless family with atrocious kids...single dad...blah blah blah".

While that storyline is certainly there, there is alot more to Nanny McPhee. The performances are top notch. Fortunately the children were instructed to act rather naturally instead of being too cute. Granted, they are obnoxious little beasts at the beginning. [​IMG]

The main reason I like Nanny McPhee was Emma Thompson. Her performance drew me in slowly and I really, really cared about her. In fact, one of the drawbacks of NM is I wanted more of her character. When we first meet her, Nanny McPhee is no looker. Big hairy warts, and a big round nose...and a single tooth that went over her lips. Not prom date material here.

Even then, though there was something special about McPhee. Emma Thompson played this in a very understated way and that perhaps explains how the audience really begins to care and warm up to her. She really is trying to help the family, not do things for them.

Moments of comedy, and some rather sweet moments too. Nice family film that for some unexpected reason really had me intrigued.

Again, great performance by Emma Thompson. She is also credited for the screenplay.

We liked it alot and as her saying goes, we were sad to see Nanny McPhee "go".

9/10

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Same here Tim. We took our 6 year old son and we all ended up thoroughly enjoying it. It is never condescending to children or adults.

3. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    In total agreement with the both of you. It's the first offical 2006 release I've seen, and I was wowed from beginning to end. I liked its take, which to me seemed like it was channeling a fairy tale, which was what I liked most about the film. There's also great performances by Emma Thompson, Colin Firth, Thomas Sangster, Angela Lansberry and especially Kelly MacDonald, who wowed me with her portrayal of Genevive, the scullery maid of the house.

In my opinion, it's the first great movie of 2006, and I hope I can still remember it before the year is out because it was wonderful.

My rating: **** out of ****

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Good assessment guys...I hope this finds an audience. It's doing pretty good business so far. Alot of people I've talked to at work automatically write it off as a Mary Poppins spin off and to some degree it's true but with a different twist. And it's not a musical.

Go see Nanny McPhee! [​IMG]

5. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor

I really enjoyed this film. I was put off by the "Mary Poppins" line in the ads, but the movie is a charmer.

Recommended!

-Rodney

6. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Amen! [​IMG]

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    It looks like a good film, I may not get time to see it theaters but I will give the DVD a shot for sure. [​IMG]

And, man oh man, they really fugged Emma Thompson up for this film. [​IMG]

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    They did...but you must SEE the film to see her differently. :b [​IMG]