What's new

Nancy Drew / Hardy Boys Mysteries Season 2? (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Theyve announced this as a 5 disc set with 22 episodes.Meaning they will probably be those dreaded double sided discs.The only way they could pull this off, on single sided discs is like this, 4 episodes on disc 1,2,3,4, and a whopping 5 on disc5 .If they did that , disc 5 would look like crap with a running time of over 4 hours !!!! I would still accept it, just to not have double sided discs.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I recently bought several other Univeral new releases (Emergency! S3, Rockford Files S3, Magnum PI S6) and these are all single-sided, so I am guessing they will do the same for HB/ND S2.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Just got this and the back of the box states, "Music may differ from the televised version." I'll be interested to see to what extent the music substitutions are. The Dracula 2-parter uses quite a bit.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

LUCKY! Mine hasn't shipped from Amazon yet... I knw it is highly doubtful.... but any extras what so ever this time? How about a Mini-Poster of Nancy Drew? Season 1 had the Mini-Poster of The Hardy Boys. (Which is still in the keepcase!) :P Though I just might hang a mini-poster of Nancy Drew! :D

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
Did anyone catch Bernie Taupin on the Dracula episodes? I really liked seeing him in these two episodes. I am really looking forward to buying this set even though I have most of the episodes from an old TV land run.

I am going to get the set with the Deep Discount 20% off sale. Waiting til the set is no longer a pre-order. Only a few more days...

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Mine just shipped today from Amazon. Should be getting it tomorrow, I hope.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
Very disappointed in the packaging of this set. The artwork is great but the discs inside overlap. More than two of my discs are scratched. I know that I could return it to Amazon but it's a hassle and there's no guarantee that if I get another set that the discs won't also be scratched.

The insides fold out for five discs.:angry: Why couldn't they have just used slim cases w/two discs per case? I recently got Airwolf S2 and S3 and Universal did a nice job with those sets.

Check your discs. I am going to contact Universal tomorrow. I keep very good care of my discs and I am going to use other proper cases I have for storing them going forward.

I have not found any extras in the set and there is no poster..not that I needed or wanted one.

I am very happy that Universal finally put out this set but why couldn't they have done a better job of the packaging?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Picked this up yesterday, and was generally happy with the set from what I've seen so far. I do have a few observations:

-Packaging is standard Universal 2007 TV-DVD packaging (the tri-fold overlapping discs has been used this year on Rockford, Magnum and Emergency)

-Unlike other current Universal sets, these discs feature no artwork on them, just text

-"Nancy Drew" font is much larger than the "Hardy Boys" font on the front and spine, most likely due to the new Nancy Drew movie coming out from another studio. Pamela Sue Martin's picture is more prominently featured on the cover compared to the Hardy Boys, despite the fact that they switched actresses later in the season (Janet Louise Johnson took over the role) and featured the Hardy Boys in the majority of episodes.

-Static menus, no music or video playing (unlike other Universal sets)

-Interior tri-fold has plot descriptions for each episode, something the Season 1 set lacked (those were presented with titles only in 2 slimcases)

-Episodes are presented in good quality, although the box notes that music has been altered (haven't figured out which songs yet). It's funny that Paul Williams is featured singing in the Dracula episode, yet on last week's Fall Guy S1 release he was blurred out of the pilot and his song was cut.

-The Top Sleuths countdown show is on disc 5, and primarily features Universal characters (Columbo, Magnum, Rockford, L&O, Miami Vice and a few more) although Paramount's CSI rates a mention.

-No bonus Season 3 Hardy Boys episode or coupon for a Season 3 set, something Universal commonly does with their continuing series such as Magnum, Rockford and A-Team. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting, although there is a slight chance that maybe we'll see a S3 release when Ben Stiller's "The Hardy Men" movies comes out next year.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this from what the episodes I've watched so far, and feel that we were extremely lucky to get this set mainly due to Warner Bros' "Nancy Drew" movie being released.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Ugh, sorry to hear about this. I checked the discs in my set a second time after I saw this post, and fortunately, my discs didn't become dislodged or damaged during shipment from Amazon.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I don't have next-day air shipping with Amazon, but two-day air with UPS because of my Prime membership. Because the new stuff usually ships from either Delaware or Baltimore, I get it the next day because it's not that far for the truck to go to get to northern Virginia. :)

ElizM

Agent
Real Name

None of my discs were loose in the case when I opened it.

They all play okay..it just I expect pristine discs when I get them. I also keep them that way.

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
As far as music substitutions goes...all I can find so far is some background music at the opening of "Meets Dracula" (when the Boys land in Paris) as well as in some other scenes but no main music substitutions. It even retains the guys singing the Beatles Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da. Kinda makes me even angrier at Fox and WKRP!

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Universal secured rights to ALL of the songs for Miami Vice's seasons without jacking up the price, yet Fox couldn't even get ONE song for WKRP.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Nuts, weird that they were scratched...I guess that may have happened in the manufacturing, or more likely the handling process in putting the DVDs onto the spindles/nipples or whatever those little nubbins in DVD cases are called. Sorry to hear that. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks