What's new

Name this game please (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I am trying to remember the name of a PC game that saw in the stores years ago (maybe 3-5 years?) It was a horror game based on some Edgar Allan Poe story. The setting of this game was some spooky house. I remember the look of the animation to be almost claymation in apperance but I don't know if it actually was.

If you know the name of it could you also tell me if the game was any good. I remember the screenshots on the back of the box being pretty creepy.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I was thinking Alone in the Dark, but that was more Lovecraft inspired and not claymation looking.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Sounds like the old CD-ROM game "7th Guest". But Im not sure. Dont know if the game was based on a book. The game had a Myst kind of gameplay. Static screens and click to move to another location. Lots of puzzles, I remember.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
If it was first person, it could be Realms of the Haunting... A rather underrated game at the time, but it's garned a cult following since then.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I believe Steve has this one correct. The look of Dark Eye is definitely the most claymation-esque of those titles and is, as noted, based on Poe's stories.

Realms of the Haunting doesn't look like that at all, though its cult following is well deserved. The very definition of underrated title, it's one of the spookiest games in the early horror genre.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The Dark Eye is definitely the one I'm thinking of. Thanks a lot!:emoji_thumbsup:

Anyone play this one? Is it worth playing?

Also, thanks for the suggestion on other titles. I might have to check them out.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I was also thinking 7Th Guest... Great game!!!! One of the very first CD ROM games, with nice Video sequences.... But it was more than 5 years ago... That game was around 93 messa thinks......

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Doesn't surprise me. I have a hard time remembering what I ate for breakfast. Anything beyond that gets all muddled together into one big memory pool.:b

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
I've played The Dark Eye. I'd pick it up if you're a Poe fan, but beyond that, it's a bit hard to recommend.

Essentially, you play through a few of Poe's murder stories. It's a little weird because you typically have the option of playing as the murderer or the victim, which sort of kills the narritive if Poe had set the story from the point of view of the killer.

Nevertheless, the visuals are spot-on, and it's enjoyable enough. Pick it up; it can't be that expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks