What's new

Directors Name the most depressing film of all time (US or INT.) (2 Viewers)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Leolo
Beijing Bicycle
Videodrome
Padre Padrone
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Becasue i am aiming for films that manipulate human emotion through writing, colour and music - that are fictional. if we start bringing up docs then we will have a long list of holocaust or civil rights films that are depressing because they are real and force us to think about how wrong our ideals appear to be through our actions... not because they are well written or scored.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
What Time Is It There? is a pretty uplifting movie. His earlier films like Vive L'Amour and The River were much more depressing.

Ok, leaving out documentaries:

The Bride of Frankenstein
The Bad Sleep Well
The Silence
The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
What Time Is It There? is a pretty uplifting movie.
Pretty tough for me to see it that way. I found it desolate and depressing. It is, however, a unique experience, and one of the most vouyeristic films I've seen: it's as if you're simply eavesdropping on the events depicted in the film. In the end, I wasn't uplifted. :frowning:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What in the world is depressing about The Bride of Frankenstein?
For me the film is saved from being depressing by the humor.

But if you just deconstructed it and looked at the elements, there is plenty of depressing material.

Since I never watch the film without gin (my only weakness), I’ve never bothered with the deconstruction process.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen Bride.

"The Monster" has a kind and gentle soul. He could live out his days as a peaceful creature. But he is misunderstood, attacked, exploited, and abused by man. Frankenstein is given one last hope that another of his kind can be created, someone who will understand him and perhaps love him. But the Bride rejects him as well, and the pain is too much to bare. Knowing that existence holds only pain and suffering for him, he chooses to end his life.

Yes, the Bride has a great deal of humor, but I find it very sad and depressing.

That's why I can't stand Young Frankenstein, because it turns the monster into a buffoon and pokes fun at beautiful, emotional scenes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ah yeah, Last Exit to Brooklyn. Forgot about that one.

Monster's Ball (excellent film, though)
I actually find Monster's Ball quite uplifting in the end, but I can see what you mean. That final scene is one of my favorites of all time.

Mine used to be Leaving Las Vegas until Requiem for a Dream came out.

What Dreams May Come is pretty rough as well.

Bobbi*L

Agent
While there are a lot of great films mentioned, that do have a very depressing quality, you much see "Rabbit Proof Fence", but, have a lot of tissues handy.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Can't think of much that's gotten me depressed.

The Remains of the Day is one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks