What's new

Name some great saxophone solos!!! (1 Viewer)

JordanS

Second Unit
Hello Friends

Some of mine are:

"Your Latest Trick" (Live, and Studio) Dire Straits

"Us and Them" - Pink Floyd

"Go Fishing" - Roger Waters

I would love to get some recommendations on great solos and go over to my brothers house, who has a high speed connection, and download them!

Thanks!

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I want to say Sam Butera played sax on alot of Louis Prima records. I can honestly say, I can't think of many bands that had as much fun swingin' it as these cats. Also check out "Last Call For Alcohol" by Julia Lee, there's a sweet little sax solo in it. It's hard to beat swing for some great horn work.

MatS

Screenwriter
while I don't condone downloading in leiu of purchasing...

my favorite sax solo of all time is by Clarence Clemons on

"Jungeland" by Bruce Springsteen And The E Street Band (Born To Run)

sends chills down my spine everytime I hear it

Lin Park

Second Unit
Check out some of the live Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet band stuff - "Turn the Page" comes to mind with some good slow sax work. Others that come to mind are:

Huey Lewis and the News
Stan Getz (with Lionel Hampton is nice)
Cannonball Adderley ("Things are Getting Better" is awesome and includes Milt Jackson)
Sonny Rollins ("Blue 'n' Boogie")

Enjoy!!!!!!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
"FM" Steely Dan (probably one of the best)

"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" Pink Floyd

Speaking of which, I just mentioned to a friend the other day that I think Roger Waters must have loved sax solos because of the number of them in Floyd songs. The last track "Two Suns In The Sunset" from the Final Cut album that Waters did with Floyd also ended with a sax solo.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Steely Dan's FM and Deacon Blues are great tracks, both of which were done by Pete Christlieb.

Steely Dan's Doctor Wu has a great alto solo by Phil Woods

The Rolling Stones' Waiting on a Friend featured a killer Tenor solo from Sonny Rollins.

Stings cover of Little Wing has some very tasty soprano work from Branford Marsalis.

I know some others will have other suggestions, but these top the list of my saxophone work on popular music discs.

Regards,

David Head

Second Unit
In addition to some great ones already listed, here are a few more:

Gerry Rafferty Baker Street
Candy Dulfer Lily Was Here
Glenn Fry You Belong To The City
Bob Seger Turn The Page

David

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
the last track on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature has got to be one of the best solos I have heard (that wasn't coltrane :))

KendallT

Agent
The solo on the Rolling Stones "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" (Sticky Fingers) is another great one.
-Ken

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The collected recordings of Junior Walker & the All-Stars. "Shotgun" if I have to pick just one.

Maceo Parker's work on just about everything such as James Brown's "Cold Sweat"

The insane "Blow me some 'trane" solo on James Brown's "Super Bad" by St. Clair Pinckney (I think).

Regards,

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
John Coltrane- Transition, Brazil, Africa, My Favorite Things, India.

Hank Mobley- Soul Station

Cannonball Adderley- So What

Wayne Shorter- Pinocchio

Charlie Parker- everything

Sonny Rollings- The Bridge

Paul Gonsalves- Dimuendo and Crescendo in Blue (from Duke Ellington's Newport album)

just to name a few out of, like, a bazillion :)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I don't know if it's "great" but I've always thought that Mel Collins's sax playing on King Crimson's "Ladies of the Road" (on the Islands album) was highly interesting.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it is great :)

Collins is an amazing player- lots of energy and imagination as well as technical ability. His work with Crimson was pretty adventurous and I love what he did in Camel as well.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
the last track on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature has got to be one of the best solos I have heard
I believe that track is called West of Hollywood and you're right. The title track has some good sax too! There's great saxophone playing on just about every Dan album.

Clint B

Second Unit
I also love the Clarence Clemons (Springsteen) solos, and I'll throw in another one by "The Big Man" for good measure--the solo on "Born to Run" (the song) is great.

JordanS

Second Unit
Thank you for the recommendations!

I think I might be buying some Steely Dan CD's!!!

Thank you again!

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
In a slightly diverted vein, check out Duke Ellington Live at Newport 1956 (double CD version in real stereo for the first time !) for the track "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue".

They've got a tenor sax player named Paul Gonsalves who just blows his nuts off in this tune. The excitement is palpable.

There's a short review of it here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks