What's new

Name some decent inexpensive progressive scan DVD changers??? (1 Viewer)

Dean_S

Second Unit
I need to get a new DVD changer for my sister. Ease of use is most important with video quality and reliability being important too. Sound quality doesn't matter (analog to TV, no HT recvr, no need for DVD-A or SACD, etc). Her TV is a 30" widescreen Sony CRT, so she could use an upconverting player with DVI but I doubt there is a changer that is in her price range of $200 (+/- $50)???

JackS

Supporting Actor
Since your demands are simple I'd suggest a player from a major mfg that is the most in-expensive in the line.
Reliability is really not quantifiable until after the fact.
I do not trust the reliability of any of them, so the money you save can either go towards the purchase of your next DVP or your could opt for a heavy dose of warranty with your purchase.
Sorry to sound so pessimistic but this has been my observation with two
Panasonics (2yrs) and one Sony(3.5yrs)
This is not to suggest that another brand other than the two mentioned wouuld be any better. Buy what you like at a reasonable price and keep your fingers crossed. Good Luck

Dean_S

Second Unit
She currently has my old Sony changer and it has developed a layer change problem, it's about 4 years old and not Progressive. The Yamaha I gave her before that crapped out after 2 years. I was leaning toward the Panasonic or Sony changers at One Call for $108...if it lasts 2 years I'll be happy. I usually pass down my stuff to her and upgrade myself, but right now I have a new-ish $500 universal changer that I'm not ready to give up just yet and my other player is a single disk player. So between the Sony and Panasonic I lean toward the Panasonic since my recent luck with Sony has been less then stellar...is there any reason I should look more seriously at the cheap Sony instead of the Panasonic. There is a cheaper Toshiba, but I have not read one good thing about the Toshiba players lately???

JackS

Supporting Actor
Sorry Dean, there's is no answer to your question. If you feel more comfortable buying Panasonic, then that is what I'd buy.
I was happy with my Panasonics but had hoped that they would have lasted longer.
Bottom line- It's a crap shoot regardless of brand so you may as well get the one you want and hope for the best.

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

I am on my second Panasonic changer - the first one stopped reading some disks so it was getting annoying but I had it for over 3 years. The new one I bought was $110 and if it lasts three years, I will be very pleased.

Gone are the days when your components last 10 or 20 or 30 years. The demand for cheaper faster better has created a situation of creative destruction, whereby you don't necessarily want your stuff to last that long anyway.

For example, I have a friend who bought a DVD player when they first came out. It is built like a tank. Still works fine. Only problem is, no dts, no sacd, no dvd a, no mp3, no DVI, no coax digital out, no component out, no anything. You put a dvd in, it plays but it doesn't do 1/3 of the things that a current $100 dvd player does. But he doesn't want to get rid of it because it cost $800 or something when he bought it.

Ideally, you spend $100 it last 3 years and you move on to the next new thing. It is defintely a different mentality and mindset but it really is the way electronics are moving, at least in the player type arena - amplifiers etc are a different story. Although I suspect we will be seeing some big changes coming with the advent of the digital amplifier.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks