1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Name dvd's that have high SPL & low freq. that you think didnt have it.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keir H, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Hello all, name some of those movies that have surprised you with powerful bass content that you least expected. One movie that comes to mind here recently is Freaky Friday (yeah I know). During the 'fortune cookie' scene, I forgot that I had the volume up to about 20 under ref (only) during mostly dialog at this point...when all hell broke loose in my room! I literally jump out of my seat along with others watching it when it seemed like an earthquake was goin on..but then I reminded myself that Houston is way too flat for such experiences.. [​IMG] My early generation SVS 22-31CS created a that effect out of nowhere it seemed. I just remember people looking up at the ceiling and my wife yelling "Baby!" [​IMG] So, I yeah I hunted that remote. Just thought I'd share that funny story. Anyone else have similar experiences?

2. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

For me it was Fight Club. My brother and I were testing out my brand new Tempest and he put it in as a demo chapter. I couldn't remember what happened at the end, so we were just chatting during the dialogue part then all of a sudden... BOOOOOOMMM!! My jaw dropped, eyes popped out, and I got that total 'panic' instinct. It was hilarious. And fantastic. I wish I could get that again!

3. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Notting Hill-During the first kiss there is a 22Hz rumble that surprised me. Not loud, but definitely there. There are also several key moments (like when he first sees her in the bookshop) where there is a 40-50Hz rumble that's kind of cool, too.

I haven't seen "One Hour Photo," but I saw somebody saying there is some good bass on that DVD. Wouldn't have expected that.

JKS

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Matrix Reloaded - chatting at Zion dockside after exiting the Neb. The very faint and but extremely deep and steady rumble of Zion in the background was really cool.

I know it doesn't quite fit your thread title, but it was unexpected in that particular scene and I even stopped and rewound it to listen again - a nice touch - subtle but menacing.

5. Joe DC

Joe DC Agent

"UNDERWORLD"--any part of the movie is a real work out for any 5.1 system; my subs ran 'hot' for most of the movie, especially scenes with transforming lychans!

6. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

I expected it in so many scenes but the opener of Senator Amidala's ship doing the fly-over had me absolutely horrified that my speakers would blow. I have no idea just how far that goes down but it'll wake you up real quick!

7. Jeremy Stockwell

Let's try to stick to the spirit of the thread that Keir created here (BTW, cool idea, Keir).

"Best Surround Demo DVDs" and "Best Subwoofer Demo DVDs" threads are a dime a dozen around here. He's asking about movies or scenes from movies where there is "high SPL & low freq. that you think didnt have it [sic]." Wow, look, it's right there in the thread title. [​IMG]

Keir can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that examples such as Ed's would be acceptable. Everybody expected lots of low frequency effects in Matrix Reloaded, but in a specific scene (such as the one Ed described), it may still be unexpected.

Another such example would be from Fellowship of the Ring. Right before Sam, Merry and Pippen jump onto the Buckleberry Ferry, there is a pretty loud (guessing around 35Hz) rumble that doesn't appear to be related to anything that's happening on screen. At this point, Frodo is separated from the other three trying to get away from the Black Rider. There is some distance between Frodo and the other three Hobbits, so it doesn't seem like it is related to the Black Rider or his horse. Always wondered what that sound was. Any thoughts?

JKS

8. Jeremy Stockwell

9. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks guys for your input thus far, as I am sure there should be many 'bass gem' scenes out there. On the movie I mentioned, I had no clue such a movie would have good tight bass like that...the girl band was pretty good too I might add. Come on guys, I know there's more.. [​IMG]