What's new

Naked Lunch dvd (1 Viewer)

steven harrison

Auditioning
i saw this one import PAL format dvd of Naked Lunch on eBay... seemed pretty interesting, with commentary and a few other extras.

anybody have any clue if this'll be released in the US? in our superior format?

how much bug juice am i going to have to shoot up before i see this on dvd?

and for that matter, where is a Videodrome dvd? eh? EH?!

sigh... Cronenberg.

steven

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I love Naked Lunch.
There isn't an R1 DVD though, as far as I know...haven't heard anything either. :frowning:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I think Fox owns this title. They have been a little slow in releasing their catalog titles, even ones from the 90's (ie:The Crucible, Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing). I would love to see this on DVD. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There is an NTSC version out in R2 (or maybe coming out in the next few weeks). I got an email about it from CD Japan.

Jeff

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Count me as a big NAKED LUNCH fan as well... And damn it, that empty spot in my DVD collection brings me down.
Hey, my 200th post! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... :D

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I asked Peter Staddon about this last year and didn't get much of a positive response.

Too bad, as the transfer on the woefully full-frame LD is particularly wretched.

All we need is this, M. Butterfly and The Brood to get all of the essential Cronenberg on DVD (I wouldn't count on seeing the Canadian biker movie Fast Company anytime soon).

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Naked Lunch is one of my least favorite Cronenberg films, but I'd pick up a DVD with commentary from him in a second.
(I wouldn't count on seeing the Canadian biker movie Fast Company anytime soon).
Biker movie?! Canadian?! :) It's a car racing film, mostly featuring funny cars. And while it was filmed in Canada (as is almost everything he's shot), it actually focuses on noticeably American characters. It's essential Cronenberg in my book, given the themes of interrelated sex and cars, the always great John Saxon, and the hysterically (unintentionally) funny songs. I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity to see it exhibited theatrically.
DJ

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Count me in for Naked Lunch. This is one of the first truely strange movies that I remember loving. I still remember trying to show this movie to some friends and their looks of bewilderment about 30 minutes in. Needless to say, we had to pull the movie out and watch something different.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Christ, Damin, what was I thinking? :b

I have a gray-market tape of this that I haven't watched in years. Of course, it's a car-racing film. But it has never been available on American home video and I wonder if it even got more than a middling theatrical release in the U.S. It's too bad that Cronenberg wasn't able to make "Red Cars" due to opposition from the Ferrari family. I hear good things about "Spider," though, and "Painkiller" sounds great for 2003/2004.

That being said, I'd love to see Stereo & Crimes of The Future on DVD too, though I know both of them are for completists-only (I have Crimes on the Criterion LD).

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Just bought the LD yesterday!
Yes it is owned by Fox. The LD includes the Trailer but that's it.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Nelson Muntz: "I can think of at least two things wrong with that title!" :)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
That being said, I'd love to see Stereo & Crimes of The Future on DVD too, though I know both of them are for completists-only (I have Crimes on the Criterion LD).
I, too, have Crimes on LD, and I've seen Stereo theatrically. While the completist in me is indeed likely to be tempted to purchase them should a DVD release ever happen, seeing them once each is probably enough for me. However, should they contain any noteworthy extras (e.g., Cronenberg & Ron Mlodzik commentary), I probably wouldn't hesitate to pick them up. I'd also love to see the CBC release a DVD set of all the work he did for them. Some of the programs he did, like The Italian Machine, are pure Cronenberg classics. Such a release might be unlikely, but it'd be nice to see the CBC pay tribute to a home-grown talent, assuming that they still have the rights to all those programs.
DJ

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
one of the few reasons I keep my laser disc player
...and us in Canada had to...uh...sneakily import this title at the time to get it on LD, since the Canadian distributor didn't produce an LD of it and didn't import any of Fox's.
Damin: what a great idea! Have you checked out the CBC website (www.cbc.ca) or contacted them about this? It's the CBC's 50th birthday this year, and they're celebrating like crazy...there's a link on the website where you can vote to have your favourite shows from their 50-year history re-run in prime time. I'm pulling for Seeing Things (which I would totally buy on DVD or even VHS if I had to) and The Beachcombers (I want to see the episode where the girl believes that she's stolen Relic's soul and captured it in a box).
The episode of Seeing Things with the profanity-spewing parrot sticks in my memory, too. :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
An addendum:
I dropped into the CBC forums related to the showvote special, and found some pretty heavy participation from one of the CBC film archivists, as well as much talk about releasing The Beachcombers to DVD, which everyone seemed to think was a good idea. Plus I found out that APTN is running The Beachcombers twice a week! Looks like I'm gonna have to add to the cable package. ;)
Anyhow, if you're interested in those Cronenberg shows, Damin, those forums seem to be the best place to start.

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
For those interested, Naked Lunch is playing this month at Cinema du Parc in Montreal :emoji_thumbsup:
Link Removed for showing informations!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks