What's new

Naked City (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Congrats to those who got in on that crazy low price. I missed the boat, didn't see the post until shortly after the price was raised back up. Enjoy.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Mike*HTF said:
I admire your thinking!
Mine arrived today - it's the complete series, Joe.
That's amazing and wonderful. I wish I had caught this in time. I'm like SO jealous. green with envy ----> :biggrin:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Tina_H_V said:
This is getting ridiculous!!!!! Here it is, the night before the release date of November 5, 2013, for Naked City, and I still do not have my discs nor a shipping confirmation. This is getting very frustrating. This is not the first time Amazon has messed me over on a pre-order. Back in 2008, I pre-ordered a season of That Girl from them...and they did not get it to me until two days later following the release date!!!!! NOT COOL, AMAZON!!!! NOT COOL AT ALL, AMAZON!!!! Now, here I am, afraid that Amazon is going to stiff me on this order. And I am an Amazon Prime member as well!!!! And they are treating me this way???? Unacceptable!!!! I really hope they come through for me on this order ON TIME!!!!! If not, I will stay on them tooth-and-nail DAILY until they deliver my merchandise I paid for in good faith as everyone else did. I am getting pretty peeved about this transaction with Amazon.
Do you have a "subscribe and save" shipment coming up? I've had orders held for as long as 2 weeks that were then combined with a S&S shipment. However, I'm *not* a Prime member so that may not apply to your situation.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Arrived!!! :)

And seriously -- thanks to Amazon for taking responsibility and upholding a well deserved reputation for incredible customer service.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My Wal-Mart set arrived today with extreme damage to the cases. One case is almost totally destroyed and all 4 have damage. All of the hinges for the disk pages are broken with 3 cases having severe damage to the opening side (that includes the one that's almost a bunch of pieces). It came in a bubble wrap bag and also had a gouge/piercing through the bag into one of the cases. The cardboard slip case has no damage other then where it got gouged so it makes me think the damaged may have occurred during packaging. I'd say it got slammed around very hard if the slip case had more damage but there are no signs of compression to the package nor bent corners.

The disks (at least those I looked at) all appear to be OK and none came loose from the trays so the question now is do I try for a replacement or just suck it up and find replacement cases somewhere.

**EDIT**
I opted to start a claims/return & replace process via WM online. I requested a replacement, better packaged for shipping, as well as a pre-paid return label for the badly damaged set. I'll update after I've heard back from CS.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
My set arrived this afternoon and it's the complete set at the $25 price. This is one of the better deals I have had over the years on DVD sets. Thanks, Amazon!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The first episode of Season 1, "Meridian" offers a reminder of how this series preserves on film forever the sights of a New York that has vanished. The climactic chase takes place in the at-the-time brand new New York Coliseum building on Columbus Circle which was demolished in 2000. You'll never see a better representation of its interior in any photo archive than you do in this one episode!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Oh, no, Bob, I don't. However, I am so very happy to announce that all is well!!!! My order arrived today on time for the $25 charge (w/tax), so all is well. My confidence with Amazon is totally restored!!!! Thanks, Amazon, for not letting me down. Now, I am about to order Mad Men S6 from them on Blu-ray Disc.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Many Thanks Amazon -- got an email saying a set had been sent and for US$25 plus postage to Australia (I'd pre-ordered months ago) -- not one minute of this show has ever been released down here so am really looking forward to it, if only for all those great guest stars who appeared during this show's run.

Now to get that movie version with Barry Fitzgerald (which has been released down here, but not a patch on the Criterion release)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Jack P said:
The first episode of Season 1, "Meridian" offers a reminder of how this series preserves on film forever the sights of a New York that has vanished. The climactic chase takes place in the at-the-time brand new New York Coliseum building on Columbus Circle which was demolished in 2000. You'll never see a better representation of its interior in any photo archive than you do in this one episode!
I absolutely agree. I watched "Meridian" last night as well, and as many times as I've been down to NYC in the last 5 years, I had no idea what the "New York Coliseum" was, that the pilot episode was shooting around. Thanks for clarifying. I watched the first 5 episodes last night, and am completely and utterly hooked on this show. Can't wait to watch more tonight!

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Any comments from folks that ordered Naked City from Wal-Mart ???

My tracking says my order just left Dallas, TX this morning....still shows a delivery date of 14 Nov.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Somewhat strange in episode #2 to see a character named "Adam Flint" who isn't the young detective that Paul Burke would play when the series was revived but instead an elderly Staten Island Ferry captain! I can only presume that Stirling Silliphant liked the sound of the name when he had to create a new lead for the show in its revival (and I'm assuming that James Franciscus declined to come back).

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Jack P said:
Somewhat strange in episode #2 to see a character named "Adam Flint" who isn't the young detective that Paul Burke would play when the series was revived but instead an elderly Staten Island Ferry captain! I can only presume that Stirling Silliphant liked the sound of the name when he had to create a new lead for the show in its revival (and I'm assuming that James Franciscus declined to come back).
That was disconcerting, wasn't it? :huh:

I'm not finding the 30 minute episodes as compelling as the later hour-long ones, but I'm still very glad to have them.

As far as picture quality goes, the episodes that weren't previously issued haven't been remastered like the amazing-looking earlier Image releases, but for $25 (or the $99 I was willing to pay), I'm not complaining. They still look much better than the RTV broadcasts. The bonus of 12 minutes of original commercials isn't as amazing as the older multi-disc box sets, so I'm going to hang on to those.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Shatner's Grim Reaper said:
Any comments from folks that ordered Naked City from Wal-Mart ???

My tracking says my order just left Dallas, TX this morning....still shows a delivery date of 14 Nov.
I just got my shipment from Wal-Mart! It's the complete series, charged at the low price. The packaging is pristine and the DVDs are all snug in the individual season cases. Can't wait to dig in as the first season will be entirely new to me!

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
That was disconcerting, wasn't it? :huh: I'm not finding the 30 minute episodes as compelling as the later hour-long ones, but I'm still very glad to have them. As far as picture quality goes, the episodes that weren't previously issued haven't been remastered like the amazing-looking earlier Image releases, but for $25 (or the $99 I was willing to pay), I'm not complaining. They still look much better than the RTV broadcasts. The bonus of 12 minutes of original commercials isn't as amazing as the older multi-disc box sets, so I'm going to hang on to those.
I was wondering about the old dvds. I have all of the original Image dvds. Wish I'd sold them while they were fetching big bucks but that window has closed now for sure. At least there is something unique about them to warrant hanging on to them - they take up a fair bit of space!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I will be keeping the three multi-disc Image releases for their bonus content, but the single disc releases can go.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Arrrgggghhhh!!!! Wal-Mart says the set is out-of-stock and wants to issue a refund rather than ship a replacement (although they didn't indicate if I'd have to return the severely banged up set). I've asked if they can wait for it to come back into stock and just ship a replacement.... waiting again...

**EDIT**

And... they won't let me wait for new stock. They say it's because it's OOS and they don't know when/if they'll get more but I'm pretty sure it's because of the price mistake. I also have to return the damaged copy if I want a refund. I've not looked at the return authorization page to see just how they are going to pay for the return package. I'm tempted to just try the "quick return" process at a store to see if they'll take it back damaged.

Hopefully the copy I ordered from Amazon won't be in such bad shape. At least their return/exchange process is *far* superior to what I've seen so far from WM. It proves the poor CS and run arounds I've received in the past is not a fluke but SOP for them.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
My set was just shipped out today! I should get it in about 10 business days or about two weeks as I am in Canada.

I am looking forward to watching this set as I head good things about the series. I have been watching Silk Stalkings S6-8 over the past few weeks, but it was more sex types of murder/drama.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
hypnohighball said:
Both my Walmart and Amazon NC boxes arrived safely and intact. Deal of the year, no question!
Ditto, although I can see how the Walmart packaging could have been damaged in transit. The Amazon set was packed in a sturdy cardboard box, whereas Walmart used an oversized bubblewrap envelope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks