1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Nakamichi Amplifiers any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I wonder if Nakamichi is more like a Hi-End equipment than other comercial consumer brands like Sony, Yamaha, Kenwood, and etc.
    Thanks!
    ------------------

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Manual- I don't know about the current stuff, but back in the mid 80's to mid 90's, Nakamichi put out rebadged Threshold amplifiers. The PA-7, PA-7AII, PA-5, PA-5AII, etc. Very high end stuff, consistently very well reviewed. Didn't use class A, B, AB, or H. Used Threshold's patented Stasis technology. Better than the mass market manufacturer's you mentioned. Maybe not quite Krell, or Aragon, but definately in the league of B&K, Acurus, Parasound, etc.
    ------------------

3. Manuel Delaflor

Keeping alive my question (this will be the last attempt...) so no one else knows???
    Thanks Kevin
    ------------------

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Kevin is right for the most part about the Nak amps. They licensed the circuitry from Threshold, they didn't rebadge the amplifiers. They were pretty good sounding, but didn't have the same treatment (ie they didn't have the parts quality) the Threshold amps did.
    Nelson Pass has moved on to a circuit topology called "Super Symmetry"....
    As for current Nakamichi gear, it's good stuff, but not great stuff. Probably on a par with the Onkyo and Pioneer Elite products it competes against. It is (in my opinion) not a high-end brand anymore.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
    [Edited last by John Kotches on August 31, 2001 at 08:27 AM]

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I keep waiting/hoping they revisit their high end roots some day. (I have an ST-7 tuner and the best cassette deck ever built, the CR-7A; and I used to have the PA-5AII power amp with the CA-5A pre amp and an OMS-7AII CD player.)
    I would really love to see a "Dragon" DVD player from them someday. Metal drawer/mechanism, built like a tank, state of the art technology, etc.
    Sigh...
    ------------------

6. Manuel Delaflor

I can buy the AV1S or the RE3, both are used but in perfect condition and Im wondering if I better buy a new Sony, Yamaha or similars.
    I was told, many years ago, that Nakamichi was almost "audiophile grade" equipment. Now it appears its not, so I have my doubts.
    I will use it only for music because I already have 5.1 in another place of my home, so I don't need any modern receiver, just a good amplifier with more than 40WRMS and at no more than 4,000.00
    Thanks!
    ------------------

7. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

The founder of Nakamichi has sold the company and started a new company that is dedicated to high end audio. His latest company is Mechanical Research Corporation, and his latest design is the Niro line of product. Really cool and really expensive

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Manual- If I was in the market for an amp, I'd be looking at Acurus, B&K, ATI, Parasound, Outlaw, etc. Not Yamaha or Sony.
    ------------------