1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Naive question as a result of the PAL-speedup thread:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeSerrano, Sep 13, 2001.

1. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

PC DVD-ROM a possible solution to PAL speedup?
    The way I understand it, a PAL DVD contains all of the individual frames of the original film but instead of playing 24fps, they are sped up to 25fps.
    What technological barriers are there to just slowing down the playback of the frames to 24fps? It is already possible to step through each frame using the pause/step feature of every software DVD player ever made. You could then output the video via upconverted HDTV or in native resolution to a multi-sync RGB device (monitor, CRT projector data projector).
    The hard part would be the audio. However, now that people are figuring out how to implement real-time multi-channel encoders in software, I'm sure someone could create a chip that could play the 48Khz audio-stream at 46.08Khz and resample to 48Khz on the fly.
    What am I not considering?
    -Mike
    ------------------
    .o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
    void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything
    .o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I don't know about this but supposedly a PC DVD-ROM should be able to act like a progressive scan television and player, thus eliminating pulldown from NTSC and making them, resolution aside, the version of choice.
    I say supposedly because it doesn't happen on my system. I was slightly underwhelmed by everthing except image quality on my PC monitor using various types of software. On the otherhand, having Seven playing in a tiny window with a commentary on was wayyy cool.
    Interesting argument you make, however.
    Theo

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It can't eliminate the speedup, because the acceleration occurs during the transfer stage, before compression
    Jeff Kleist

4. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

Don't know if it technically would be possible to actually slow down PAL but there are solutions for HTPC to pitch correct them via software. I guess we will see something like that in regular DVD player at some point?

5. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

6. Roland Wandinger

Just yesterday I read something in a German AV magazine about a software which is correcting the pitch. They also said that it is not perfected yet and that one is for the moment better off without it.
    I'll check the magazine at home and I'll post if they mention some company names or products.

7. Roland Wandinger

The newest version of WinDVD 3.0 from Intervideo Inc. is supposed to have a correction for the speed-up but as they state it degrades the audio considerably!

8. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit