naive question about criterion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Dec 24, 2001.

1. andrew markworthy

Sep 30, 1999
    I know this may sound like a regional DVD question, but I think it's perhaps of relevance here.

Criterion are not marketed in R2, but I've noticed that there are quite a few movie titles on the Criterion list which have appeared in R2 in digitally remastered forms. In some cases there are several cuts of the movies potentially available, but the R2 versions chosen for remastering are, as far as I can see, the same as the versions produced by Criterion (e.g. Andrei Rublev, Seven Samurai, Les Enfants du Paradis).

Please does anyone know if Criterion and R2 companies are doing this remastering separately or are they sharing remastering resources?

I must stress that the R2 versions aren't identical to the Criterion ones; the latter nearly always have better extras.
  2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dec 4, 1999
    It's quite possible that the companies in R2 purchase Criterion's masters. Since Criterion doesn't have divisions outside of the US they have licensed things in the past (Armageddon for one) to other regions.