What's new

Nailgun question (1 Viewer)

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I have a nail gun that shoots 2.25" finishing nails. I am building a box with most panels 1.5" thick. I was planning to use the nails from the nail gun instead of clamps. If I try to use a 2.25" finishing nail through a 1.5" panel, will this give enough clamping force for Gorilla Glue to set and make a good joint?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
You may want to use white glue rather than Gorilla Glue if you don't have any clamps. Gorilla Glue expands, especially in small areas, and the nails won't be sufficient to hold the joint together. Try a thin film of white glue, push the boards together and nail it. Maybe lay some sandbags or something heavy on it if you can.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
If you don't manhandle the assembled joint before the glue sets you should be OK. I second the yellow wood glue rcommendation. If the cuts aren't great you can just caulk the interior seams.

Pete

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Glue and a Nail gun works well. I prefer to use brads and yellow glue over clamps.

Just a few reminders:

Make sure the gun is lined up perpendicular to the panel it grabs to prevent splitting of mdf.

Don't put a nail closer than 2" to the edges of a panel to prevent splitting.

You can use bondo or spackle to fill in the indentations.

Spread glue with finger for fairly even coats. Don't use too much or it could warp/expand the MDF.

Use a wet rag to clean up the excess run off glue before it dries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks