NAD x-overs and lower impedence speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GregSanders, Nov 5, 2002.

1. GregSanders

GregSanders Extra

Does anyone know whether NAD integrated amps have built-in xovers? I'm going to make some calls and send emails as well, because their product sheets and manuals are unimformative.

Here's the DIY part of the question. I'm talking about high pass filters that are built into HT receivers at 80-120Hz or so. If I switch to 4ohm speakers, will the built-in xover point change, or is there also circuitry to sense this change in impedance and consequently change the xover point? Also, when used in bridged mode (say, to power a sub), what happens to that XO?

The specific model I'm looking at is the 3050. It's OLD.

Greg

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Chances are that if it doesn't have a designated "sub" output (which if it's really old, it probably doesn't) then the signal being sent to the speakers is full range. Also, just switching the impedance of the speakers would not change the crossover frequency within a pre-amp. The pre-amp is crossing over before it sees a load from a speaker. Actually, the pre-amp section doesn't see the load from the speakers at all, only the amp section. And the amp is simply going to amplify the signal sent to it.
    wow, its late and I can't even tell if that made sense or not. If not, I'm sure someone else can help you out, or I'll try again later on in the morning. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Dan Hine

3. BrentCrick

BrentCrick Extra

I have an NAD C370 integrated. It has no sub out and no crossover, but it has a set of pre-outs. I run a full signal to the stereo pair and a full signal to a sub with crossover adjusted accordingly.

4. GregSanders

GregSanders Extra

Thanks for the responses, that clears things up.