NAD vs. Sony DVD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff James, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

I'm comparing two DVD players in the exact same price range. Both look really nice and, so far, people seem to lean towards the NAD T-571 vs. the Sony 9000es. Both are nice players it seems, but I'm having problems deciding. The NAD is supposed to be free of the chroma bug but it is a changer which offers more moving parts that may break.
    Here is my equipment list so far:
    Marantz AV9000 THX Ultra Certified Pre-amp
    Marantz MM9000 THX Ultra Certified 5-channel Amplifier
    Klipsch RF-3 Reference series Fronts
    Klipsch RC-3 Center Channel
    Klipsch Synergy Surrounds
    Mitsubishi 55807 55" HD RPTV
    Sony ns700p - pro scan DVD player
    JBL PB-10 Sub
    The weak link for the price range of equipment I'm running seems to be the Sony DVD player (I could upgrade the sub as well but I'm pretty happy with the JBL for now). Any opinions to be offered on these pieces I'm mulling over??
    NAD T-571 vs Sony 9000es

2. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

I presently have the Nad T571 (borrowed from a friend for a couple of months).
    Here are my thoughts
    As far a cd changer goes, it is S L O W. All responses from the remote seem a little slow. The MP3 don't seem to shuffle. The remote sucks.

The sound is pretty good (but I have a crappy 10 year old Denon changer to compare to now)

I noticed on my wega 36xbr400 the progressive image seems 'soft'.

Personally I'm going to look for something else.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The NAD, despite the company's reputation among budget-minded audiophiles, seems to be a less-than-stellar DVD player. But the Sony 700 is far from a "weak link"--it's just not as expensive as the rest of your equipment. The 9000ES is a superb machine, but reviewers are hard pressed to detect a superior picture from it when compared with a Sony 700. Why not hold on to the 700 for a little while longer--that is, unless you just have to possess that much more elegant-looking (and solidly built) flagship model. Of course, that's an understandable obsessions too!

4. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

I just notice a lot of digital artifacting (that goemetric pattern blocking during fog and low light scenes) and was thinking that a higher-end DVD player may minimize on this. I understand that a lot of this has to do with the DVD video transfer, but I just can't stand that stuff...it's distracting. The other thing I can't stand but can't figure out if it is due to my DVD player or the video transfer is that edge enhancement stuff....You know, when you look at sharp vertical or horizontal line and it looks jagged....bugs me to no extent. Are you telling me that a higher end player such as the 9000es will not minimize on any of these distractions? I'm all up for staying with the 700...I've spent enough money on the sound system especially when I upgraded to seperates. I hope it's worth it. I haven't received the Marantz AV9000 in the mail yet so I don't have it all put together.

-J

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jeff: Edge enhancement, provided the SVM on your display has been defeated and the "sharpness" control is set at minimum, is almost always the result of the DVD-authoring process. The best player in the world can eliminate what's on the disc. And the pixelization and other artifacting you may be noticing are also attributal to the DVD itself. I've heard, read, and seen for myself that the picture-quality differences between the flagship 9000ES and the 700 are so negligible as to be almost unnoticeable. JB

6. Jeff James

Jeff James Agent

I was under this impression you've shared but wasn't sure..so I may just stay with the 700 now [​IMG]
    What's your take on "ringing." Sometimes, when I'm viewing like a shot of the moon or another smaller point of bright light in dark scenes, I see a huge halo on the screen...It's kinda faint but enuff to distract me. This may have to do with my Mitsubishi 55807 but I'm not sure.
    Thanks so much for all your advice!
    -J