NAD vs B&K

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EdNichols, Dec 7, 2004.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I am looking to upgrade to a separate amp for my mains and was considering these two brands. Has anyone compared these two brands?

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I haven't demoed the two against each other but I do own a NAD S250. It replaced a Rotel RMB-1095 and the NAD has had no problem doing the job that the Rotel did even though you have a 75W difference per channel, and half the cap size. Right now for a price of $999 for the NAD, you should give it a series look.

NAD S250

Kevin

3. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

Thanks Kevin. I have been keeping an eye on that S250 also. Good to know that the NAD can keep up with the Rotel. And I would guess that the Rotel and B&K might be close also?

4. Rob Silver

Rob Silver Stunt Coordinator

Do you have an audio shop around your area for auditioning? I've heard my B&W 602s w/ a Rotel amp in a shop. It sounded a bit darker than my NAD amp.

SaturdayAudio.com is a good place to buy equipment. Very reasonable S/H, easy to work with, and much much cheaper than my local audio shop.

5. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

The S250 for $999 is probably the absolute best you can do for the money for a new amp out there right now, period.

Hell, even if you were only going to use it for 2 channel at 2 X 200 watts, it would still be well worth it.

6. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

No I don't know of anyone arround that carries both NAD and B&W. I did go to a place that carried Denon and B&W. I compared a Denon 3805 with a B&W ref. amp. The ref. sounded louder and clearer but since I didn't have an SPL meter to verify I couldn't say whether it would sound better at the same level. Don't know how Denon would compare to NAD either.

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Most amps will beat any receiver in a head to head match. Amps are designed to do one thing and one thing well. An receiver can come close. What you will find is that unless you push a receiver to its limits, at moderate levels you won't notice a difference between the two. Watts are watts.

Kevin