NAD T773- No Rear Surrounds With Test Disc

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Edward, Apr 24, 2004.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I am helping my cousin set up a T773 over the phone.

He gets 5 channel output via the receiver's 'test' tone mode, but when using the THX Optimizer thru a DVD, he does not get any sound from the L/R surrounds. Only the front R/L, Center, and sub respond.

The T773 is a 7 channel receiver, and he currently has a 5.1 speaker setup. The 'back' surrounds have been turned off thru the OSD menu.

All speakers are set to small, and the DVD player(Sony 665) has been set to output both DD and DTS.

Any suggestions? I am in NY, he is in Illinois, and he is a novice at setups. ANY ideas on what may be wrong are appreciated. Thanks...

2. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

While he is playing the THX tracks, is there any indication on the NAD that it is receiving a DD signal? Or is the decoder in basic stereo mode? I'm wondering if there is a parallel analog connection between the player and decoder, and the decoder is selecting the analog input instead of the bitstream. If th DD lite is already on the NAD display, then this isn't the issue.

Another thing to check is to make sure the speakers are connected to the surround (side?) and not the back outputs, and also that the when you tell the NAD it's only got 5 main speakers, you are using the 2 surrounds it wants you to use.

Good luck!

3. James Edward

Thanks Roger. This sounds like something to check. As soon as he gets up, I'm going to go over this with him.

4. JasonBrandon

JasonBrandon Agent

There isnt much more frustrating than trying to help someone who isnt tecnhologically proficient setup an electronic device over the phone. I almost had a breakdown trying to get my father to install an HD tuner over the phone.

5. ericanthonE

ericanthonE Stunt Coordinator

any problems with hiss with the T773? Not to be rude, but i was having problems with my 773 before taking it back. I think that i had a lemon. Picked up radio signals as well? what a piece of work

6. James Edward

Roger,
    That was it. He had the surround speakers connected to the wrong outputs. THANKS!!!