NAD T753 or Denon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joel()Les, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

These receivers are high on my list to replace my 20 year old HK amp & Yamaha tuner. I see that Denon is very popular here, but NAD has a solid reputation, but it is more expensive. I also have interest in the HK 325 or 525 but they lack a phono input.

Can anybody shed any light as to whether the NAD is worth the premium over a Denon or HK?

My current front main speakers are ESS Heil AMT Monitors. I will probably be adding JMLab's Chorus CC700 (center) and 705s (surrounds). If the sound matches horrible, then I will add the JM lab 716's for front main.
    A subwoofer may come later.

TIA [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I haven't heard the 753 yet, but I'd have to say I'd go with it vs the Denon. For musical performance, I'll also recommend giving Marantz a listen in this price range.

You can get a Phono pre-amp to hanlde vinyl via any analog input.

3. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I was in a hi end store recently. I listened to a 752 and then a NAD separate with a music (Jazz) CD, using the same speakers and CD player. The separate was an entry level type, not sure about the model number. The difference was noticeable in terms of clarity, even the bass was clearer with the separates. I could not hear such level of difference between my receiver and my separates. After that experience, I am not sure if the NAD receivers can do that much better in music than Denon. I think the 3803 gives better bang for the money.

4. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

I just ordered almost the exact setup your talking about. I have the T753 receiver and 2 pair of Chorus 707 for front and rear, on the way. I was all set to get the Sony 5000ES receiver till I heard the 707's working with the NAD. They should be in by the end of the week and I plan on running them by next weekend. I'll let you know how they come out.

Greg

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I can say that in my audition, that my NAD T762 was much better in two-channel than the Denon 3803 I auditioned. I would never listen to two-channel on my old Denon 1802 until I got the T762. The NAD has a torodial transformer and was conceived with a stereo first philosophy to power 4 ohm loads with ease - which is what my PSB Stratus speakers are. Denon does not recommend the 3803 with 4 ohm loads. but it could power a 4 ohm load...just not as efficently as the NAD. The forthcoming 3805 seems enticing with the Denon Link, but this would be a lateral move on my part, and besides, the NAD would still be much more powerful when it came down to ratings.

Reg

6. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I had the 3803 vs 762 in my system at home and I preferred the 762 for music by quite a margin.

Before the 762 I would use a two channel Rotel preamp instead of the Denon. I was never impressed with it's musical capabilities.

7. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

The T62/63 has the torodial transformer. The T52/53 do not have that feature. It sounds like it might be useful, but the T63 is another $400 more on a list price basis. Beside a little more power, are there other useful features that make moving up to the T63 worthwhile?

That's an interesting observation about the Denon as my current speakers are 4 or 6 ohms and can drive a heavy load which is why I chose the HK amp back when I bought them. I decided it was better to have a good 60w/channel that could handle the load induced by the Heil rather than a 100w amp that might be unable to keep up.