What's new

nad t752 vs. h/k 525 (1 Viewer)

Niraj Patel

Agent
I have heard the 525 and liked what I heard. Its a good warm sound that isn't too fuzzied and pairs well with just about any non-laid back speaker. Good features, good build quality.

The nad though, I have not heard nor do I think there is a dealer in the area. To those of you who have heard the nad, what are your impressions of it and if possible, how do you think it compares to the h/k (if you have heard both)? I'm guessing, like h/k, nad underrated their output power?

Thanks,
Niraj

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Hey, this may be off topic, but was the Nad T752 with 75watts the same component Seth Green was raving about in the movie "the Italian Job?" Does anyone know what speakers or components he was talking about?

I've heard the HK too with laid back speakers. I've even heard 90db sensitivity speakers play reference with the AV125 that sounded fine.

Havn't heard the Nad, but I know their amplifiers are the real deal and you shouldn't be dissapointed.

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I have heard both.

I was considering the 525 BUt have decided to buy the NAD.

I thought the NAD had a little clearner sound (not quite as warm) and has been tested to actually output 92 Watts all 5 channels driven which is very hefty considering what many 80 w AVRs actually drive all driven.

The 525 has more features and does not need external amps for 6.1 or 7.1 but the NAD does. The NAD costs about 25% less here in Canada.

My plan is to run 5.1 using the NAD and save up $ for a 2 channel amp to drive the fronts and reassign the internal amps to the back later for 6.1.

Sound wise I would not hesitate to say the NAD is equal or to me even a little better than the HK. Features and price could decide it for you.

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Hello Niraj,

I just want to start off by saying I am just getting into this HT stuff and don't have as much experience as others on here, but like you I also am looking into these 2 receivers. I may end up just bringing home both to make my final decision since I can return both at no cost to me, but I am not there yet as I am still searching for the speakers.

I have heard the HK 525 and the NAD 742, 752 and 762 but could not A/B these as all the AVR's were heard on different speakers and in different shops. My impressions of the 525 is similar to yours, very warm sound without losing the clarity in the highs.

I think the sound of all the NAD's was similar across their line. I believe someone else on this board also mentioned that he thought NAD's and HK's lineup sound very similar but as you go up you get more power and features. I thought the 752 was also warm, but much less than the HK. You are correct about the conservative power ratings on the NAD, I believe the 752 which is rated by NAD at 80 wpc tested out to 92 wpc.

Bottom line on the 2 AVR's, I liked the more neutral sound of the NAD on music and the increased "presence" of the HK with movies. I think what makes this choice even tougher is that the HK has more features(better bass management, 7.1 vs. 5.1, logic 7 to name a few) for a few dollars less.

John

Niraj Patel

Agent
Thanks for the replies.

Thats pretty much the impression I'm getting from reading search results... The NAD is a more detailed and forward reciever and the HK is more warm. I think I'm leaning towards the HK since I plan on getting some Axiom/Ascends (relatively bright speakers).

Jonny,

I get the same outlook on these two as you do. To me, the NAD seems more of a musical reciever and the HK a more movie reciever. I think the NAD will be a purchase down the line when I can actually have a decidated music room.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Niraj:

I was recently able to A/B the NAD 742 (no 752s in stock) with the h/k 525 on the same speakers and with the same source material, and I think you have summed it up correctly. The NAD is far more detailed and the h/k is warmer. Different sounds from two quality products. It is all in what you like. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. These two companies are the only ones that I think have put the sound quality of the receiver first, and the gizmos second. These are also the only two lines of receivers that are true "high current" capable, and both badly underrate their power, but if they promise 80 wpc, you get at least 80 wpc (unlike many other well known brands!)

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
Niraj,
I just upgraded to a H/K 525 from a Marantz 4200 with my Axiom set up(M40, vp150, qs4). The H/K was a major step up in my opinion, There is now more bass from my m40, with the Marantz the mids and highs were clean but thin in the bass. Now, I'm satisfied listening to 2 ch without the sub
The H/K does music real well but movies is just awesome compared to my Marantz.

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
If you go with the Axiom speakers and H/K setup you won't be dissappointed. It would even be better if you upgrade the crossover components in the axioms. I replaced the crossovers in my axioms with Soniccaps and Mills resistors and it was worth it. Sound really opended up and smoothed the top-end, much more detailed and transparent but no glare at high volume levels.

Niraj Patel

Agent
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Wendell,

Did you think the Axiom's were a bit bright initially and thats why you switched out the crossover? That is my overwhelming concern with these speakers is their metallic woofer and tweeter being too bright.

Niraj

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
Niraj,
The Axioms are forward sounding but not overly bright. My m40s sound was very balanced. I just upgraded the crossover because with my little experience in DIY I was pretty sure the sound could be improved with some tweaking. And the improvement with the tweaks was worth it.
Now, on my brother's m80, he is using a H/K 8000 and the sound wasn't as balanced as my m40 with the top end being a little too much for my taste. We then did teaked the crossover and WOW!!
The axioms are great sounding to begin with and at a great price. But I recommend doing the tweaks to the crossover after becoming familiar with its sound. And trust me after the mods you won't be disappointed

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
....the H/K is a great match for the Axioms. they sound great together. the axioms sounded brighter with my Marantz.

Niraj Patel

Agent
Wendell,

I'll have to hit you up again if/when I get my Axioms and get more info on this mod!! :) Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks