What's new

NAD T752 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Ronald.H

Agent
I just purchased and installed a new NAD T752 Receiver. I haven't had much of a chance to tweak it yet, but out of the box it was very impressive.

Our first experience with it was the new Lion King DVD. The sound was great.

Does anybody else have one of these? What is your impression of it?

Thanks,
Ron

george_k

Agent
I have a 742 and love it, the HTR2 remote is kickass. Comparing it to my previous amp the Yamaha HTR 5640, I find the 742 much less fatiguing. On the yamaha after about 20 minutes of listening to music I'd get rather annoyed.

Mind you the difference is prices makes these 2 units uncomparable.

My only real gripe with the NAD is that when watching DD5.1 movies I have to keep the volume at 0db out of a possible range of (-62 to +14)dB to make any sense out of the dialog.

But that's more or less and issue with all DD recordings I find.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I have a 762, but I find that either the amps have lower sensitivity than my previous receiver, or 0 dB on the volume knob is not as much gain as I expected.

I base this on the fact that, in order to get 85 dB on all channels via Avia test tones, I need to run the channel trims up to between +9 and +11.

FWIW, with the internal test tones, to get 85 dB (0 dB on the knob), I need only about +1 or +2 per channel.

The manual says to use the internal tones to get 75 dB. But to get that, I would have to run the trims down to -8 or so. And that would seem to require that I would need to run the volume knob up way above 0 dB to get reasonable SPLss in my room.

Its all kind of odd, if you ask me.

Avia is known to be recorded at -20 dbFs. As such, I have to assume that the internal tones on the NAD are way hot. Or, WRT the digital inputs, perhaps there is some attenuation that takes place with after D/A but before I get to the channel trims.

I currently have things trimmed via Avia, and I can assure you that 0 dB on the knob would be perceived as loud, very loud.

But, if I trim with the internal tones to 75 dB as per the manual, 0 dB on the knob would not be all that loud at all.

BGL

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The remastered soundtrack (Enhanced for HT ver) on the Lion King was quite well done.

I was strongly considering the 762, but went with a Marantz 8300 instead, when I found that the 752 and 762 have the digital "signal lock" audio delay. I had lived with this for a while with my older Marantz, and I felt that when upgrading, I should be able to rid myself of this annomily, albeit a minor one.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
I recently bought a 742 and have been very pleased with it. Basically, it's to get me by until the 763s come in. I picked it up from Andy over at Saturday Audio (an authorized NAD dealer) and got a good deal on it. I'll sell it or put it in my bedroom once I get the 763.

The 742 is a no frills receiver, to be sure. But it's a solid performer that doesn't even break a sweat with most soundtracks, even with its relatively low power ratings. The audio drop-out doesn't affect me at all, since I only watch DVDs (which only drop out for a second during the opening title sequence) and listen to CDs (which don't drop-out at all). I'm sure the 752 is even better, and I am really looking forward to a 763.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I was strongly considering the 762, but went with a Marantz 8300 instead, when I found that the 752 and 762 have the digital "signal lock" audio delay. I had lived with this for a while with my older Marantz, and I felt that when upgrading, I should be able to rid myself of this annomily, albeit a minor one.
And it sure as hell is annoying!

I have taken to only listening to CDs via the analog connections because of this, which deprives me of the pleasure of hearing the 3 HDCDs I own in their proper format!

Having said that, it is pretty much a non-issue for movies, but for CD's it sucks out loud.

Oh well, my digital sources (Pioneer 45A and Denon 1600) have pretty good DACs, so its not a big deal.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Strangely enough, my NAD DVD/CD changer doesn't produce any drop-outs with my 742...
I think I have read posts to that affect. I have observed the problem with Pioneer and Sony players connected to my NAD. As I just added a Denon, I will have to try that, and see what it does.

FWIW, this is not unique to NAD, as the previous poster's comment about Marantz points out.

Does seem interesting that NAD seems to have engineered a solution within their product line.

BGL

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think the engineered solution is that the digital signal from the NAD CD player (whether it's coax or optical) stays on at full strength even when the CD player is in pause or stop mode. If you look at the red light emanating from an optical output while playing, then pausing a CD, you'll see that on "problem" players the light either dims or goes off. When the T7XX senses that signal dropoff, it goes into "sense mode" i.e. doesn't lock on a signal and attempts to sense what the next signal may be - you don't want a receiver locked into, say stereo or Dolby and then feed it a DTS signal - and thus the audio dropout.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Strangely enough, my NAD DVD/CD changer doesn't produce any drop-outs with my 742...
Yep, I had the same thing when I was using a Marantz CDP with my Marantz receiver - no dropout via digital. When the Marantz CDP experienced an untimely death at just 6mo., my dealer swapped me out for a Sony ES CDP, which then had the problem via digital. I was happy with the Sony's DACs though, so I just switched to analog.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Guys,

I too had been peeved about the digital dropouts on the T762, but I purchased a Denon 2900 last week and there is no audio dropout whatsoever using a Radio Shack RCA gold coaxial cable to the receiver...which was shocking when you consider that my NAD 541i CD player dropped out as well when going digital using the same cable. I don't know what the story is with the Denon, but it sounds every bit as good on redbook as the NAD does, so I will be selling the 541i after only having it for under two months. If I want to decode HDCD, the T762 will do this for the 4 HDCD discs I currently own if need be. I was impressed with the 541i all around, but I guess purchasing the 2900 took much of the steam out of the 541, especially since their is no more dropouts.

Reg

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
My 1600 does in fact drop with my 762, so thats a 100% drop rate with the 4 digital sources in my rack.

Oh well, no compliants with the analog outs from my 45A.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks