NAD T742 weak bass

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Bert Guy, Aug 31, 2005.

1. John Bert Guy

John Bert Guy Auditioning

As a newbie to home theater, I did some research on an affordable but good entry-level system, at a modest budget.
    Last week, I bought the following:
    NAD T 742 A/V receiver
    NAD T 512 DVD-player
    Frontspeakers: B&W 602.5s3 floorstands
    Center B&W LCR60 s3
    Rear: B&W 600s3
    SUB: B&W ASW 600

IMO this is a good entry-level system, good for both stereo-music and movies, at a very good price.

The problem I have is that, when playing stereo music (only front right and front left, without sub), bass is very weak, it seems like the front speakers are sounding thin, with very little bass. The soundstage isn't very large, and is seems like sound is hanging "in " the speaker. Global soundimage isn"t very good. Is this the famous NAD-sound??
    I checked the settings at the T742, and whether I choose "large" or "small" for the front speakers, I don't hear ANY difference. The subwoofer crossover is fixed at 100 Hz. Has it something to do with that?

I first thought that the problem was due to the b&w 602.5, but connecting them at an old philips receiver, they were certainly capable of putting out some good bass?

Can someone please help?

Kind regards,
    John Bert Guy

2. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

I would think that when playing music in pure stereo mode, the sub crossover would be turned off so that the whole signal goes to the mains. Otherwise, you will be loosing the signal lower than 100hz and your bass will sound thin.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How are you connected to the receiver from the source for stereo listening? It sounds like a setup issue with the receiver to me.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'd check the setup settings.

I have a T763 and I can tell you that my bass is anything but lacking in direct mode. But I let my SACD/CD player do the decoding so I have analog inputs into my T763--hence I know my T763 isn't doing any inappropriate bass redirecting.

As a side note, I don't have your speakers so I can't comment on them, but I "upgraded" my mains from Energy C6s (circa 1999) to MB Quart QLS-1030s. I liked the mids and highs better on the MBQs, but the C6s definitely had more bass, despite having smaller woofers. So not all floorstandings will have the same type of bass.

[edit] just looked at B&Ws site and your speakers are rated to 50hz +/- 3db. Pretty good, but if you're looking for the oomph/sub type of bass, you should probably enable the sub.

5. John Bert Guy

John Bert Guy Auditioning

Thanks guys for your input.
    Last night, I looked at the settings on the T742, and it seemed there was something wrong with it.
    I reconnected everything and started re-install everything.
    Now things sounded a whole lot better!! Guess I did something wrong.
    Thanks anyway!
    Greetings,
    John