NAD T742 enough for nsp1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Aaron Howell, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

This past week I bought the JBL nsp1 set since it was so cheap and gets good reviews. I've also found that I can get a NAD T742 reciever and T512 dvd player for about $550 shipped. Now I already own a few dvd players, an apex and the one in the playstation 2, but I think I want to step up since it is such a good deal.

The NAD T742 is rated 50wpc @ 8 ohm. I'm a little edgy since I've people talking about how the nsp1 set needs more power than that. Is this enough for the JBL's?

Having a NAD c370 in my stereo system, my gut tells me that it will be MORE than enough for the jbl set. But I'm just wanting to check and see what people that own it think. Can't ever be to safe when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks guys.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, it will be MORE than enough.

3. Aaron Howell

Thanks, John. [​IMG]

How do you like yours?

Edit:
    Does anyone think I might be better of with just getting one of the refurb onkyo's?

4. Aaron Howell

Well, I probably won't get it now. The deal I saw was a "typo" and I don't know if the fiance will let me cough up the extra cash. I mean, it's almost to the point it'll be avr7200 range. [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John
    Sorry, I don't own one, but I am familiar with NAD. Good stuff. I have setup a system with a Marantz SR5200, which will be near, but probably not quite as powerful as the 742, and it sounded quite good.

Where were you looking? Check with www.yawaonline.com for NAD new and refurb.

6. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Aaron,
    Where did you find that deal?
    www.saturdayaudio.com is currently offering the T742 for $399 and the T512 for $169 and, supposedly, if you buy the pair you can deduct $50.
    That comes to $518, plus shipping.....unless, of course, this is the 'typo' you were referring to [​IMG]

7. Aaron Howell

John,
    Thx for the info, I'll check out that website to.

Rob,
    Yes that's the typo. I've had good experience with them in the past and would do buisness with them again, but the typo had my hopes up.

I might get just the T742 and live with my current dvd players.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I really think you're over-buying on the receiver. The NSP1 is a great speaker package at a great price ($200 or less) but I really think spending any more than $200 on a receiver to match it is a misallocation of funds. Most people on these boards reccomend you spend more on speakers than a receiver. The percentages vary but I subscribe to the twice as much on speakers as on a receiver group. The amazing discounts available on the NSP1 set makes this rule more of a guideline, but you still should definitely not spend twice as much on your receiver UNLESS you KNOW you'll be upgrading the speakers in the NEAR future to something more reasonably matched to the NAD you're looking at.

Since you got an amazing deal on the speakers, why not look for an amazing deal on an appropriate receiver as well? Ecost has Kenwood 6070's refurbished for $200 and they have 6060's refurbished for $130. The 6070 was rated VERY well by Sound & Vision about a year and a half ago and was tested to put out a TRUE 92WPC w/ 5 channels driven full range. The 6060 is exactly the same as the 6070 but lacks THX Certification and pre-outs (same amplification). This might even free up enough money in your budget for a quality DVD player or a sub if you don't have one (which is a must for the NSP1).

Hope this helps [​IMG]

9. John Garcia

John
    I sort of agree with Stephen, however, in the long run, it will not hurt to go with the 742 because you be less likely to have to upgrade the receiver when you do your next speaker upgrade, even if it isn't in the immediate future. One thing that would be really easy, would be to replace the mains with some used N26s, or even something from the Northridge E series and use the left over speakers for a second system or future 7.1 setup (with a receiver upgrade). Unless you are really trying to save $$, I see no reason not to go with the NAD.

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Going with the NAD T742 will be a fairly good sized waste of money UNTIL he upgrades speakers. Without a timeline on a speaker upgrade I wouldn't want to have $200 - $300 excess investment sitting in processing that's already a model year old. With processing and surround formats changing as often as they do it seems like processing (and the amplification tied to it in the case of a receiver) is where you want to have the least value to depreciate over time.

I do agree with possibly adding N26, N28, or N38 mains. I had a system about a year and a half ago consisting of an NSP1 package and N28 mains powered by a Pioneer D811S receiver in a 7.1 configuration and loved it. The N Series was great for the money back then, and AMAZING for the money at the cut-throat prices they're available for now.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

11. Aaron Howell

Thanks for all the advice guys, it's very appreciated.

FWIW, this system was pretty much a fill in system. I am diy'ing lots of stuff right now and HT speakers are on the list.

My plan was to get a nice sounding little system that could easily be moved into a bedroom when complete. I also have a retired jbl pb10 that would be a good size for a bedroom.

Okay, I just typed up this huge long post and just erased it cuz I can sum it up really quick. I have a NAD powering some adire bangs in the basement. Don't ask, it's a really long story. Anyways, I noticed a HUGE difference between it and a marantz 2020. I love the NAD. It is easily the best audio purchase I have ever made.

I figure the jbl speakers are of similar quality to the bangs, if not a little better. I noticed such a dramatic difference between the marantz and nad on the bangs, I figured I would be able to tell the difference with the jbl set also. This is why I am considering the NAD.

As far as processing, I realized this specific nad unit doesn't really have that great of processing. But I looked through 100+ of my dvd's and all of them could be played with the nad, so I considered it a moot point. I may get into dts, dd and PLIIx comparisons later, but right now I just want a good sounding HT.

In the past few years I have learned that I am definitly more into good sound than hi-fi. My NAD literally makes me smile everytime I turn it on even though I have relativly cheap speakers.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought it was relavant info.

I guess tonight I can stop by circuit city to give some different recievers a shot. I read somewhere on here the panasonic xr-25's are only $140 at CC right now.

12. Aaron Howell

Well last night I got a change to play with the nsp1 set. I only tried out the n24's though.

Mr. Hopkins, you are indeed correct. They do not sound nearly good enough to buy a nad reciever. I am going to check out that kenwood thx reciever you mentioned.

I'll tell ya, with how much people rave about the n24's, they should seriously check out the adire bang. No contest.

I also see what people mean when they say the n24's need some power. The bangs given the same wattage where a LOT louder. This shouldn't have been a suprise since I knew the efficency ratings on both, but I didn't think it would of been such a large difference.

I'll tell ya, having heard the dual woofer athena's, dual woofer jbl's and a few other's from the best buy realm...the bangs are nice. More people should try them, they don't get the respect they deserve. Hat's off to Adire.

Thx again for the help guys.

Edit:
    Stephen, ecost has both the 7070 & 6070, a you familiar withe 7070 also?

thx