NAD T742 Buzz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe Pick, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Joe Pick

Joe Pick Stunt Coordinator

Jan 12, 2004
    I use my NAD T742 for everything in my living room - regular TV, DVDs, CDs, iPod. I switched off everything and went to bed last night, and everything was fine.

When I turned on my NAD, TV and cable this morning, I can hear a fairly loud buzz when using my 742. It doesn't matter if it's tuned to video, CD, DVD, FM or SAT, the sound is present in all modes.

My 742 is maybe three years old, and I have no idea how to troubleshoot. Maybe it's my PSB speakers? Any ideas on how to help before I carry it in to a dealer?
  2. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Jan 5, 2006

I am far from being an expert here but the classic reply would be to isolate your source one by one by unplugging the interconnect and power plug and see if the hum is still there and the usual solutions I always read about is to use cheater plugs for the earth/ground loop thingy for the offending gear. Am I making any sense here?

3. Nhoj

Nhoj Auditioning

Jan 17, 2006
    Speakers are never the source of a buzz, don't worry about them. Can you control the volume of the buzz? Is it coming through both channels? I'm guessing no and yes...
    Things to try:
    Start easy- Give every plug a shove and wiggle.
    Play with the cable in connection on the back of the cable box.
    Completely disconnect the TV cable that comes from the pole from anything attached to your system. Gone? Call your cable company for free new drop. Or look outside for a problem.
    Unplug the AC cords from everything except the amp.If no more hum, plug things in one by one til it returns. Then play with ground lifts.
    If the amp hums when it alone is plugged in, remove all the signal connections from it. If it still hums, turn it on its side and bang the bottom of it with your fist. Tip it down to a 45 degree angle and let go. If it still hums, take it to the shop.