nad t571 dvd/cd changer any good? how to test?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Conroy Tesa, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

Jun 26, 2001
    I wanted to get a new DVD player and this one caught my attention.
    These are the features i really want/necesary:
    DVD/ CD changer
    MP3 decoding
    Progressive scanning with 3:2 pulldown
    Very good cd playback (I would say 60% music/40% movies)
    HDCD/24/96 burr bron converters
    the NAD t571 has those but lacks these that would be nice
    Dvd-a/SACD playback,
    upconversion of d/a for audio cds
    Now this player uses the Pantera 2 chip which has had ok reviews (no chroma bug but relies on flags for delinterlacing). The nad tech support said it DOES have a buffer for layer change.
    I want to know
    a) has anybody bought/used this player?
    b) what software (dvd wise) is a good test for the 3:2 pulldown,interlace flags or layer changes(tough ones) or anything else.
    Iwas looking at the Denon DVN 4800 here in Canada but it is 1800 bucks! I could get the NAD for 800 which is more my price range.
  2. Jeffrey Wiffen

Jeffrey Wiffen Stunt Coordinator

Jan 8, 2002
    Can someone help us with this one? I've seen no reviews on the T571 yet?
  3. JeffreyH

JeffreyH Stunt Coordinator

Sep 5, 2001
    I'm not sure if this will help but in Essential Home Cinema magazine the lower NAD model, the t-531 got a "best picture award".

I was looking at this model but it seems that it's the exact same unit as the Marantz I already have.

Everyone I ask doesn't come up with a straight answer on weather or not they have the same internals.

I ask that because I've been having "dot crawl" problems with the Marantz and wouldn't want to buy the NAD and run into the same thing.

If this unit does get great reviews on the picture then maybe it's just the Marantz units.
  4. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

Jun 18, 2000

i'm in the market for a new player and was considering getting a 5 disc progressive scan player as well. the nad you mention and the marantz vc5200 were at the top of my list. both are almost identical players. the image on both of them is beautiful. the fact that niether player has the choma bug is a huge plus.

while i didn't compare audio-wise, apparently the audio quality of the nad beats out the marantz by a small margin.

for mp3 playback, both players display file names on your tv (but not on the player's front panel). the downside is that a) it truncates the file name to about 10 characters and b) if you have a folder structure, it ignores that and just organizes it as though the folders are there. this is kind of frustrating since i put all my radiohead concert mp3 in folders named according to when and where each show was, but on it's diplay all i can see are the set lists.

what turned me away from both players is that they both have very slow transports. i even found that just powering on the units took more than just a few seconds.

if you're looking for something in that price range, i'd reccommend marantz's single disc progressive scan player, the dv6200. same excellent video quality as both 5 disc players, but with a faster transport, and faster powering on...

i should also add that menu navigation and layer changes on those players is lightning fast as well (in comparison to my current player, a toshiba 2109).

hope all this info helps.