What's new

NAD T571 5 disc progressive DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering if anyone has the NAD T571 5 disc progressive scan DVD/CDRW/MP3 player yet. Are there are any reviews of it yet?
:)

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
while i haven't seen any online reviews, i did test this unit myself a few weeks back and can give you my thoughts.

both this and the marantz 5 disc progressive player are basically the same player. i believe the nad has better quality components, but generally the same. on the plus side, neither exhibit the chroma bug and both produce an excellent image, however i do have a few issues with this (and the marantz player). powering the unit on took way too long. maybe it's because it's a 5 disc player, but between the time that i hit the power button, and when i was able to insert a disc, a good 5 to 10 seconds passed. secondly (and this is probably a characteristic of carosel players) i found the transport to be really slow as well. the remote is decent (same as the marantz, i believe) but nothing to write home about.

overall i wasn't totally satisfied with this player. again, i assume it's speed (or lack thereof) is due to the fact that it's a carosel. in the same league, i had tried marantz' single disc progressive player and found it to be much faster. if you're set on nad though... who knows? maybe they'll release a single disc progressive player.

hope that helps.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I own a Panasonic CV51 and I wait on average way longer than 5- 10 seconds. Its like 20 annoying seconds. My old Sony 5 disc carousel is like instant, or 5-6 seconds max, and switching between discs is split second, as is track access.
If the only thing you didn't like was the speed, then it sounds like its still an option for me. I'll have to check it out.
What is the USD cost retail? Do you know? I can find out what it goes for around here ( less than five miles from the NAD headquarters at Lenbrook :) but its Sunday and I was wondering if you knew the retail MSRP and street going price.
BTW how was the progressive output? Whcih chip does the player use and will it be tested by the Secrets of.. guys??

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Matt pretty much nailed this one on the head.

The NAD T571 is based on the Marantz VC-5200 5-disc player. Even the on-screen menu system and the owner's manual are the same. However, NAD has tweaked out their machine.

On the video side, the 27 MHz DACs are replaced with 54 MHZ DACs. The audio stage has also been upgraded and includes HDCD decoding.

The NAD produces a stunning picture. No chroma bug, which is a definite plus. There is a real sense of depth and texture to the NAD's image - quite remarkable, really. The NAD is based on the Mediamatics chipset. The only caveat - if your DVD collection is primarily video-based, you may want to stay away, as the Mediamatics chipset does not perform its best with video material. However, if your collection leans more towards mainstream film-based material, you should be ok.

As a CD player, the NAD really shines (considering it is a DVD player). A comparison between the NAD and the Marantz was really no comparison - the NAD was much better. The NAD sounds as good as NAD's entry-level single disc CD-only player.

The control system is a bit slow however. I've found this to be the case with carousel DVD players in general, however. Other than that, this really is quite a stellar product.

/Jeff

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. Well, I'm still dreaming about progressive scan. I don't have a progressive or HDTV display yet, but I'm trying to keep up on whats current.

I'm waiting for the day when more HDTV's and displays take a native 480p DVD signal and display it without up converting. I'm also waiting for the day when more DVD players pass those tests on "Secrets of .." tests. You know the ones where every player scores barely 50-60% except 1 or two that score 80% and 99%. Basically all the dvd players in the tests fail lots of tests except one or to players worth over $3000 USD!

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
How can you tell if you are watching a video based or a film based DVD?
I don't think there is any universal method of determining what is and isn't video based. Generally, most mainstream movies are film-based. American TV shows usually are as well. In my collection at least, the video-based material is found in the concert DVDs and any British TV shows (which shoot on video as opposed to film).

/Jeff

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jeff. Thats good advice. I have talked to more and more people lately about DVD players and for the most part, the decent quality Panasonic and Pioneer, Sony and Denon and NAD etc are all good units to buy and enjoy. Right now I have a 32" NTSC JVC TV which is really quite decent considering. I am waiting for a time when I purchase a progressive display. Only then will I make a Progressive DVD purchase.
Here is a question I will throw in here, because its very important to me in terms of DVD performance, in the context of my hometheater based around a TV display:
But rather than have too many threads, go here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...072#post449206

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks