What's new

NAD receiver or budget separates? (1 Viewer)

pcuezze

Auditioning
I'm looking for the slow road to upgrading my HT system. I'm using a dedicated HT room (under construction now) with CRT FP. I have PSB Image 5'Ts for main, with matching center and surround. This setup will be used for 80-90% HT. I currently own a Yamaha RX-V496 which must go (terrible sounding).

I really want to take a step toward separates, but am on a tight buget - less than $1000.00. I've thought of buying an entry level pre/pro (used Rotel 976, Marantz AV560, Sherwood/Newcastle) for $600.00 or so and scraping together whatever amplification I can until I can afford better. I've also considered dropping $1000-1200 on a newer entry level pre/pro. (DTS and DD are all that are really important to me feature-wise)

Now, I see used NAD HT receivers going for $350.00 or so with pre-outs. So I was thinking about buying the NAD and spending the rest on 3 channels of amplification ($650 leaves me lots of options, but I was thinking 3 MA-700 blocks, Acurus 6 channel bridged, Rotel 6 channel bridged, or maybe I can stretch for used Bryston). I'd use the NAD for the rear 2 channels until i could afford add'l amplification.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I have been in the past in a similar situation. I was on a tight budget, and got into seperates for $1000, and will never look back. If you are willing to buy used equipment, you can put together a system that no receiver other than the very, very best flagships can match.

I started with a Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080- $400, mated with a Carver AV-806X THX certified 6 channel amp- $600.

That was an awesome bang for buck combination, but I wanted a little more so I sold the Newcastle and bought and Adcom GTP-760 pre/pro. Cost twice as much as the Newcastle and was a complete piece of crap.

Then I replaced the Adcom with an NAD T751 receiver as a pre/pro. Big mistake. I am sure this is an excellent performer at its price point using its own amplification, but sounded very poor as a pre/pro. Small soundstage, poor seperation and detail, muddy bass in AC-3 mode, no bass at all in DTS mode.

Currently I am using a Rotel RSP-976 pre/pro, and am quite satisfied with it. It is a bit too bright, though, for my taste, and has a slight hum in all channels that I cannot remedy. Overall, though, it sounds very nice, and currently my setup sounds better than ever. If you are still in the market this summer, I will be selling the 976 to make way for the Outlaw 950.

Cheers

Andrew B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks