What's new

NAD, Cooling Fans? (1 Viewer)

Am I right, do NAD receivers have internal cooling fans? Are they tripped by some thermostat?

Thanks for any info.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Dan,
i'm convinced thats what i'm hearing. i've had my 752 for several weeks now, and just noticed this yesterday, and again this morning.
it seems to kick on for several minutes, usually once during a 2 hr movie.
kind of disappointing as the sound of the fan is noticeable, especially if it occurs during a relativly quiet passage.
what i find odd though, every time i check, the reciever seems to be actually cooler to the touch than any other reciever i've had.
the fan must b e doing the job, but the unit never seems excessively warm...at any time.
so far, this would be about the only drawback i can find to the unit. otherwise im very happy with the sound, features , remote, etc- so i guess its just one little thing i'll have to live with.

I have the 752 as well. I heard it last night during a 4 hour CD listening session. I freaked out at first, but then I got close to the receiver, and I realized that nothing was wrong. I could hear it pretty well, but it was a relatively "light" CD. I guess when you think that these things are getting more processors, doing more calculations, things are going to get hot.

At least I know I'm not hallucinating.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't resist some razzing here:
Most Technics receivers (I own their SA-DA8 model) have fans, and they only turn on during loud passages. Otherwise (at least in my experience) they just sit there. So I have never heard mine operating :D.
Technics/Panasonic's "class H" amps are a modified form of a class "A" amp, which naturally run hot as hell, even while idling with the volume turned all the way down. This has nothing to do with "bad" circuit design or "inadequate" heat sinks as some people believe. So, do not place other components directly on top of their receivers!
LJ

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have read and heard,NAD receivers sound really really good and I think I could live with some fan noise if it performs so well.

The fan is too loud in my opinion. I have heard that NAD has been getting complaints, and will probably make changes to this model. I've heard shipping on the T-762 has been delayed. Maybe they are swapping out fans.

Shane Yates

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Robert, I actually am a fan (pun intended)of active cooling in my equipment, it makes me feel safer knowing that the thing won't overheat. I have the T752 and the fan comes on once, maybe twice during a demanding movie. The fan starts up hard and loud, but quickly drops to a whisper. In my opinion, a little fan noise is definately acceptable given the NAD's solid performance. I have mine on top of my rack so it has plenty of breathing room though.

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks