NAD C320 BEE or Marantz PM8000-Opinions?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cagri, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

I have been searching an integrated stereo amp for 2 channel listening. I narrowed my choices down to these two and need some input for deciding. NAD is awesome, but I never had the chance to listen to it in my setup, or with same speakers that I own, and I didn't hear the Marantz. Nad is 50W p/c and the Marantz is 95W p/c. I am leaning towards the NAD as it is $150 cheaper than the Marantz and I love its looks, but Marantz's 45W extra power and especially Class A feature is confusing my mind. I like to listen to music at low volume and dynamics and detail at low levels is the main improvement that I am looking for by adding the amp... Would the Marantz serve better to this purpose as it has more power and class A feature you think? I will appreciate any input about these two amps, ty.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I am using the PM7000 right now for 2ch, and it does a great job at average to low listening levels. I am very happy with the simplicity and great sound of this integrated. I have not heard the 8000, but I would expect it only sounds better.

Comparing the power of the two is probably not a linear thing, as the NAD will almost certainly be very similar at average listening levels. It is when you crank it up that you may notice a difference in power.

What speakers?

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Good point John. I have an NAD T762 which is *only& 100wpc, but I used to have a 120wpc Sony and let's just say that not only was the Sony not more powerful, but that the NAD blows it away in every respect--including power.

One thing NAD does not do is exaggerate their power ratings.

I have heard the 320BEE in the showroom of my local dealer www.yawaaudio.com a few months ago and that puppy got as loud as I wanted without clipping.

I too am looking for a bedroom 2-ch system and for me, the 320BEE is at the top of the list, especially at the price.

Actually, go to the NAD site for the 320BEE and look at some of the reviews (Stereophile from 7/03, Hi Fi Choice from 7/02, What HiFi? from 7/02) - none of those reviews indicate a lack of power.

Good luck to you!

4. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

The C320 BEE is a great piece. You cant go wrong here.....

Enjoy

5. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

I've got Kef Q35.2's. I wouldn't hesitate deciding on the NAD if it wasn't for the class A feature of the Marantz.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm not sure what the Class A spec for the Marantz means performance wise...

But it this means anything to the more techie-types (like Chu Gai) the 320BEE has a Holmgren Toroidal Power Transformer - which apparently is usually only found on high-end equipment. FWIW.