NAD C 270 2 channel amplifier...has anyone used this amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Peddle, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Got a quoted price from my dealer today on the NAD C270 2 channel amp. (120 X 2, THD 0.03% @ 20hz-20khz)
    629.00 CAD or 410.00 US
    Just curious about how users have found the sound quality. The only model they had in the store had defective power supply (happens to the best of them from time to time) so I wasn't able to do an in store demo today.
    Just wanted to know what the general consensus was.
    Lates
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

NAD has been a quality product for some 20 years. Sort of a quiet company, just making a good product for a reasonable price. I have the NAD 214 power amp, the C270 just out this year is the new replacement for that model. Don't let the power rating fool you. NAD is very conservative on power ratings. NAD tends to be on the warm side, so if you have a bright system, it may mellow it out some. dollar wise, you will be hard pressed to match the performance from other manufacturers. See if the dealer will let you do a weekend demo of it in your system. I bet you end up keeping it.

3. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Anyone else have this amp...or the 216 which it replaced.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Check a thread that was running a few days ago about the C370 - that's an integrated amp, and I think it has the 270 as its power amp section. You might want to contact the owner and get his impressions. Of course, it'll be hard for him to comment on the power amp section independently, but that's better than nothing.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Saurav is correct in that the NAD C 270 power amp has the same amp section as the C 370 integrated. I have the C 370 and it is an excellent amp. I bought it back in February to use for music in my home theater instead of a Sony STR-V444ES A/V receiver. Simply put, the C 370 is very musical. Read what magazines such as What Hi*Fi? and Hi-Fi Choice (both British) have said about the C 370 in the past. What Hi*Fi? named the C 370 stereo amp of the year for 2000. Anyway, I'm sure the C 270 paired with the right pre-amp would be an excellent performer.
    Michael is right about NAD's conservative power ratings. I have an NAD C 350 integrated amp in my second system, which NAD rates at 60W x 2 into 8 ohms. Two British magazines independently measured the continuous power at 95W x 2 into 8 ohms. I have not seen actual power figures for the C 270 or C 370, however.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on August 13, 2001 at 06:06 AM]