NAD 762 Signal Lock Issue - Possible Solution

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian L, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Great news (potentially) for 762 owners.

As you know, our units will drop the first second or so of any incoming digital signal. This seems to be the case with anything BUT a NAD CD/DVD player, and is pretty widely reported.

I sent an e-mail to NAD complaining about the problem. I was not expecting a solution, and was hoping to just go on record saying I was unhappy, and hoping they might throw me a bone and give me a deal on a 763.

Well, guess what? They said there is a software upgrade that will fix the problem. They said that the current version is v1.22. My unit has version 1.20.

Anyone have this done? I have a call in to my dealer to see about the upgrade.

FTR, you can check you SW rev by pressing the audio and video buttons at the same time.

This is great news, in that this is really the only major flaw I have had with the 762.

And before any asks, I don't know if this is also applicable to 752 models.

BGL

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hi Brian,

The 1.20 was supposed to be a fix for those issues over the previous (which I think was either 1.19 or 1.18) and while it did reduce it (lag time was reduced from 1/2 second to about 1/4 or 1/5 second) it didn't completely remove it.

I thought that was part of the reason they made a T763, because they could only go so far with firmware fixes, and then had to go and actually change hardware.

If you do upgrade and find that it does help, please let the rest of us know!

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Thanks Brian! FWIW, sometimes manufacturers skip numbers in regards to firmware, BIOS (in the case of PC manufacturers), so it's totally possible that they went from 1.20 to 1.22. In fact, I know my memory ain't the best, but I'm thinking the previous one from 1.20 was 1.18 and that 1.19 was skipped. Maybe NAD just doesn't like ending with odd numbers. [​IMG]

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Just got a note from my dealer.....seems this is news to him. He said he has been bugging them for a fix for some time, but he said that have been tight lipped.

I wait patiently for his reply.......

BGL

6. george_k

george_k Agent

Please let us know, I have the T742 and noticed the same problem.

BTW, is there a way to check the firmware, I remember reading somewhere that a key combination shows the firmware on the LCD display.

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

8. george_k

george_k Agent

Which audio+video buttons are those exactly?

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

On my 762 they are the buttons that you use to scroll through the audio and video inputs. They are right below the front panel display.

BGL

10. george_k

george_k Agent

Brian,

I have a T742 so those buttons you mention are not on my model.

I don't suppose you know how I could check the software revision on my model?

11. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, so much for a fix.

Word from my dealer is that there is no fix, despite what NAD told me. So, either NAD's web response person has bad info, or my dealer does.

And just so no one will think I am nuts, here is the reply from NAD to my initial inquiry:

>Thank you for your recent request via the NAD Electronics web-site.

There is a software upgrade available for your T762 which addressed the problem of the missing second from each song. I need to know which version of software you have now. This can be determined by pressing the VIDEO and AUDIO buttons. The version number will be displayed. The latest version is V1.22, and should your unit not have this software, your dealer should be able to upgrade your software, or refer you to an authorized NAD service department that will be able to under warranty. Should your dealer be unable to assist you, please contact our customer service department at 1-800-263-4641 ext. 4383. They will be pleased to help.<

I sent them a follow-up note indicating how pleased I am with their support on this issue. We'll see where that leads, but it appears that my optimism after their reply to me was unfounded.

BGL

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

14. george_k

george_k Agent

Brian,

I did as you told me and fired off an email last week sometime and still haven't heard from them regarding a software update for the T-742.

15. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Still no joy in mudville, the latest reply from NAD:

With the latest software, the T762 mutes the digital input for just a bit less than 1 second after it detects a digital data stream. This allows time for the loading of one of the many surround sound decoding programs included as part of the T762. If this mute delay was reduced or removed, the raw undecoded data would be heard through the speakers while the program was loading. This undecoded data has the potential to damage your speakers at the worst, and at the least would be very unpleasant to listen to.This theoretically shouldn't be a problem, as the "Red Book" standard for CD data as specified in the Philips CD license, requires a 3 second silence after the data stream begins, but before the music signal starts.Unfortunately, many CDs do not adhere to the specified standard. We have only seen this muting as a problem on the first track of a CD, or sometimes when skipping tracks. There should be no delay once the disc starts playing. We recommend using the analog CD input (this can come fromyour DVD player - connect the digital output to the DVD input and the analog output to the CD input) to listen to CDs, as this avoid the problem altogether. NAD DVD players are specifically designed for this, with high quality DACs and output amplifiers. In the stereo mode, the T762 does not re-digitize the analog input. This is what is referred to as a "bypass" input, bypassing all digital processing unless a surround mode is selected.