NAD 541i or Cambridge Azur 540C?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ray_C, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

I had an NAD 521i for a short time, but I found it a bit too rounded in the high end. I can get either an NAD 541i or Cambridge Audio Azur 540C for the same price brand new. Both have 24-bit 192-kHz DAC's, a Burr-Brown for the NAD, a Wolfson for the Cambridge. What should I go for? Thanks.

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Anyone have any experience with comparing these two? I'm considering them as well and am also curious, particularly about things like whether either player is finicky with certain discs (not refering to CD-R or RW--just store bought commercially produced CDs), do they run hot, jam up, etc.?

3. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Nad also has a new C542 cd player you might want to look into. Its more expensive but its probably worth it. I have read the c541i has had its share of problems such as cd-r compatibility and other problems. Although sonically its an excellent player. Cambridge I have no knowledge on. I would assume though that either player would be excellent choice.

4. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

It was the c541 that had problems with cd-r. The c541i added cd-r support along with other little tweaks. My c541i is a great player. Especially with HDCD disc.

5. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

The C541i was much improved but I've read that it still had its share of problems reading discs.