N64 no audio Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Braddock, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

This has me stumped/agravated. I have a N64 which I got as a gift from my mom. She bought it second hand. I figured she was thinking about getting it for me and I told her to be sure to get the cable that had the RCA ends on it (it had an RF adapter with it already). Anyway, it worked fine until just a day or two ago. It worked that morning, then that night as I sat down to play it, I got no sound. I tried different games, but no luck. I have checked all of my connections and they are all secure. Has anyone had this happen to them? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Thanks.

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

1st thing I would check, if this applies to your setup, would be that the receiver did not get set for a digital input. On my receiver you can set Video 1, 2, etc. to a digiatl input or analog.

2nd thing I would do, or 1st if the above does not pertain to you, is try a new set of cables. I have had to get a replacement cable for my N64 before, so it isnt uncommon.

-Dean-

3. Jeff Braddock

Dean,
    The input settings are correct. I already double and triple checked them. What is so frustrating is that it worked only hours before, then quit. I have looked for replacement cables, but I can't find any that would be like the ones out of the box. The only ones that I can find are the upgrade packages which I don't really want. Oh well, my trusty NES still works, maybe I'll just have a blast from the past.

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Jeff, you know you can use Gamecube cables as well, they have the same connector. I use a N64 s-video cable for my Gamecube. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

5. Jeff Braddock

The only cables I have are for the N64 and NES as those are the only consoles I have. I guess maybe I could try to sell the wife on the idea of getting a gamecube, for testing purposes only of course. [​IMG]

6. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Try this....
    cable
    It has S-video and RCA composite. This is the cable I use. Works like a champ.
    -Dean-

7. Jeff Braddock

Thanks for the link Dean. Where in Chicago do you live? I am going up there in March on a missions trip.