n64 expansion pak

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Cielo, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Jon Cielo

Jon Cielo Agent

after having a good list of games (thanks guys), i might need an expansion pak. i did a search and found an informative post regarding games that benefit from the expansion pak.

i have a similar question. do games that are not specifically designed with use of the expansion pak (mario kart 64) benefit? i'm not looking for an increase in resolution (though it would be nice), but would the system overall run faster? when playing this game in battle mode with 4 players, everything is a lot slower.

though i'll probably get one down the road for a separate game, i'd just like to know if system speed will increase with the pak. thanks in advance.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The pak only affects games designed for it. No, it will not enhance games like Mario Kart 64 in any recognizable way. It might very well speed up processing, but AFAIK it's only used as a memory expansion for higher res images and larger levels.

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Perfect Dark is a good example of a game which (amongst other enrichments) has higher resolutions with the expansion pack. Unfortunately, it also ran slower on the higher resolutions, so I kept it turned off. IMHO, while a simpler game, Goldeneye was more "playable" (and it didn't use the pack).

Martin.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

PD also required the pak for the regular single player mode just to play. Higher res resulted in lower framerate for most N64 games.