N00b system: Sub $400 to good to be true??

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ken.H.C, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Ken.H.C

Ken.H.C Auditioning

I'm a first time poster... this is a fantastic forum!!

I've been reading tons of threads for the past week as I am seriously considering an entry-level HT audio system to go with my Pioneer 5-disc DVD player and Sony 27" Wega CRT TV. From my readings here and research on the net... J&R has these priced as such:

(rounded prices)
    Sherwood RD6108 5.1 Receiver: $130+$22ship = $152.00 total (Ckt City has this under $120 but NO STOCK!)
    JBL SCS135SI: $230.00 shipped
    Total: $382 plus tax since I live in NY.

Is this too good to be true at these prices?????

They're also offering the JBL SCS150 at $300 shipped. My living room is not big, so I am leaning to the SCS135SI instead. I've narrowed it down to these JBLs because of their size... I want "Bose" small.. but not pay "Bose" prices [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any "better" suggestions for sub-$400??? I am afraid as I post this that J&R will run out of stock as dozens of you will grab 'em [​IMG] [​IMG]

By the way, did I say how great this forum is? Kinda like having hundreds of audio consultants at your finger tips [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, thanks for joining, Ken!

J&R Music World is a reputable dealer, and so it looks as if you have an affordable entry price into the world of home theater. Don't blame us when you want to upgrade, though.

3. Ken.H.C

Ken.H.C Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Jack!

For the experts out there... is this as good as I can get staying under $400.00? I thought if getting a pair of better speakers to start with and a quality receiver... then slowly upgrading with the sub, center and rears down the road... I guess I just want immediate HT and this seems to be a decent way to start without breaking the bank, yet getting quality.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome Ken. Upgradeits gets us all in the end. Either way of upgrading will work. If you want to jump in for the HT experience, what you propose will work well.

When you start down the upgrade path [​IMG], you might think about starting with replacing the receiver first. True it will not immediately help your audio quality very much, if at all, but you will be able to replace speakers as you desire you will see the immediate, full benefits of the new speakers and, without worrying about under powering them.

Have fun.

5. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

im a newb as well...but check out the Pioneer HTD520... i have one and i think its alright....though mine didnt come with speakers i will be building those on my own.

but it is a home theater in a box..... I.E. one reciever, does everything.
    5 disc CD/DVD/DVD-R/W/ DVD+R/W VCD etc etc.

To be honest though i have no idea if it is a worthwhile system, the only reason i have it (and the only reason i started my journey into the world of HT) is because i got it free. then i wanted to use it as a stereo, so i thought id buy the remote for it.... and build speakers... now i just want a damn good system with what i have for now

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Ken - You might want to maybe check out Circuit City's closeout on their Polk RTi speakers. I'm sure you could get a pair of decent floorstanders (I think the RTi100 was $250 for the pair? Maybe that was the 70s) Anyways, you would then have another $200ish to spend on a better receiver. You could maybe go w/ a low/mid end Yamaha. It really all depends on your HT to Music percentage.

IMO, the single pair of Polks would outperform all the JBL cubes. You would gain clarity in the midrange and have some decent speakers to work w/ in the future. The floorspace taken by 2 floorstanders isn't actually all that much if the space is concerned. And you would have a better receiver as well!

7. Ken.H.C

Ken.H.C Auditioning

Anthony... thx for the info, but even as an HT-n00b, I am skeptical about an all-in-one receiver. I'll check it out.

Lew Crippen... ya, I was kinda thinkin' about the receiver... maybe one of those Yamahas or Onkyos I keep seein mentioned here... think I can get a step above the Sherwood 6108 at $200 instead of sub $150?

I dunno if I can realistically get these for $200:
    Onkyo TXSR501
    Yamaha HTR-5640

If I spend more on one of the above rcvrs, then maybe I slowly build... and get a pair of JBL N24II to start with (the rest to come later). Will this sound bad without a sub??? Too many things to think about!!!

Ernest: WOW, I check out Circuit City's website on Polk Floor standing and these puppies go for in the thousands!! Actually, the least expensive models were R50 listed at $599 and they had 'em crossed out so u contact 'em for the discount. The large floor standing models will put me in the doghouse... similiar thread elsewhere re:wife and all! LOL! I think I'm fixed on "small" yet not crappy sounding.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Ken, I'd get the receiver I could affort now and upgrade it first when I had the money a few years down the road.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Here's what I'd get.

Denon 1603 for $180. Its a refurb but I've purchased Denon refurbs from eCost before and its been fantastic. (as have the other guys that jumped on the same deal I did)

And two or three pairs of the JBL N26II's for $120 a pair.

If you only got two pair you could set the denon to give you a phantom centre speaker which means it would split the dialog between the fronts. This actually works fairly well if there isn't to many people watching the movie (ie the best spot is the middle between the two speakers and it gets a little worse the further away you go). If you could up the budget a bit and get three pairs you'd have your center and rear center as well. These are very well reviewed speakers and would serve you a lot longer then the ones you were thinking off. From here the next upgrade would be to add a subwoofer...and I'd highly suggest you consider building one from one of the kits since its VERY easy and will save you tons of money.

10. Ken.H.C

Ken.H.C Auditioning

Andrew Pratt... I am leaning towards something similiar to your suggestion except the N26II are a bit on the "larger" size even though they are meant to be bookshelf speakers. As much as I'd want better sound... the smaller footprint of the N24II may be more of what I want. Hmmm... I just tried posting a pic of a drawing I made out of my living room and the forum refused it... nevertheless, my actual living room space is only about 18'L X 8'W and it's wide open adjacent to my dining room. My 27"Sony Wega is right next to a bay window... so, not much room there.

My original idea was to have something close to the size of BOSE, but of course much better in sound. That Denon looks inviting... much better than the Sherwood 6108 I suppose. Perhaps the new consideration:

Denon or Yamaha 5640 Receiver: around $200.00+ range or less if I can get refurb
    2-Pair of JBL N24II: $200 for both pairs OR
    back to the JBL SCS135SI for $230
    I'm pushing to $500 ... not too bad.

Would the N24II be ok in my room size? Figure I should start with this and upgade center and sub at a later time. Will this sound "decent" without the sub???

11. jon_ad

jon_ad Stunt Coordinator