N.y.p.d. Blue

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Richard Ringenbach, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Richard Ringenbach

Richard Ringenbach Stunt Coordinator

Is there any recent news about season 3 on DVD?
    Thank you!
    Richard Ringenbach

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Unfortunately, no. [​IMG]

I get e-mail with this question all the time, and so I keep an eye on it. No dice so far.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Perhaps with Amazon's recent deal for Season 1 (for $15) more people will get into this series on DVD. The first season with David Caruso was great, but the show reached it's height in my opinion with Jimmy Smits in seasons 2, 3 and 4. It was never better.

4. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I'm also interested in Season 3. Although I liked Season 1 the best with David C, I agree that this series peaked with Season's 2-4.

- Jeff Willis

5. David Lambert

I've seen this sentiment shared in other threads about other shows, like Mary Tyler Moore Show. What needs to be kept in mind is this: the fact that Fox had to mark the S1 sets down that f'ing far in order to clear out stock probably means that the studio is soured on the whole idea of continuing the series on DVD. They probably had to take a huge write-off on the inventory to mark it down that far, so Amazon and Best Buy and others could sell it at those prices.

I'm sure it doesn't bode well for future sets, no matter how many copies sell at the lower price. Put yourself in Fox's shoes: "If I can only get S1 to sell at the below-cost price of $15, then consumers will expect to purchase future seasons at around $15, and we'll just lose more and more of our shirts."

6. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Does this mean that FOX would consider licensing out NYPD Blue to another company if they aren't going to release future seasons of the show?

7. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

Yeah, but most of Fox's S1 sets were selling for $15 between Amazon and Buy.com prior to Christmas. Buffy, 24, MASH, Millenium, The Shield... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure The Simpsons was at least in the Buy.com sale.

Some of those were originally pretty decent sellers, weren't they? I'm not sure the low price point for these sets can be directly correllated to low sales. They could just as easily have been loss leaders in an attempt to hook consumers to getting future sets. If they can get someone to try Buffy for $15, they've got a potential sale for 6 more sets.

At the same time, I'm guessing NYPD Blue didn't sell that well or we surely would've seen season 3 by now.

8. John Carr

John Carr Stunt Coordinator

Dave, your supposition regarding Fox's probability of releasing future sets of poor selling series is probably (and sadly) right on the money. However, I wonder why they have included in these sales big sellers, such as Buffy 1st Season and Angel?

Are these loss leaders, or designed to 'hook' buyers onto the series?

In my case, it worked -- I purchased the reduced first season of Shield, and since then have purchased the 2nd season and will shortly buy the 3rd.

Also, your hard work at TVShowsOnDVD.com is very much appreciated! Thanks and long may you prosper. Happy New Year!

9. David Lambert

The difference between NYPD Blue and MTMS on these markdown lists vs. shows like Buffy/Angel/Simpsons is this:

The latter shows were such popular sellers that they generated extra printings of the sets in question, leading to the overstock situation once sales fell off.

The former shows' sets selling in the overstock sale is probably the first (or, tops, second) print runs of the sets.

The attitude at Fox will be based on sales success *prior* to the markdowns, not after the markdowns. That's my main point.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

I thought the fact that they are taking across-the-board mark-downs on the first season (only) of so many shows indicated a desire goose TV-on-DVD sales generally, and see if they could hook people on any or all of the shows. If they just needed to dump excess stock at a loss, why not a deep discount on both seasons of NYPD Blue? The analogy seems to me to be with Warner Bros. $6 loss-leader pilot/sample episode discs. Of course, I've been wrong before, but it seems my interpretation makes as much market sense as Dave's and has the advantage of being a bit more optimistic. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

11. John McM

John McM Second Unit

I am shocked Fox didn't release season 3 in time for the final episode. I mean, you don't get much hotter than a show at the time it's saying farewell to the airwaves (remember the way Warner was pushing out Friends sets at lightning speed during it's final season?), so this would've been the perfect time to have released season 3.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Exactly. So if they didn't do release it for the series finale, they probably never will.

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I sure hope they change their minds. I'm someone to came to the NYPD Blue DVDs after their initial release, but would snap up season 3 the day it is released.