N.L.'s Vacation:20th Ann. Ed. ...Some early thoughts

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tony Scello, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I was able to purchase an early copy of this (I believe the street date is actually Aug.19th) and watched the movie last night. As one might expect, the new anamorphic widescreen transfer is wonderful to behold. It is much sharper, cleaner and has brighter colors and better contrast than the previous open matte full screen transfer as I remember it (I sold the previous version when this one was announced). The DD Mono soundtrack is more than servicable. The disc has some nice motion menus and a silly little introduction with Chevy Chase, Randy Quaid and producer Matty Stevens. It also has a audio commentary with most of the cast which I have not listened to yet and one other feature.

IMHO, if your a fan of the film, this is worth an upgrade(especially at this price point). If you've been holding out for an OAR version, your wait is nearly over. It's nice to see that Warner Bros. is listening to its customers.

P.S. - Can't wait for my other favorite from the series, Christmas Vacation, in early October. Hopefully, it will be as good as this one.

2. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Thanks Tony. If you listen to the commentary and check out the other features, please let us know. I can't wait either.

3. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Does the Box set come out in August or is it October? (with all four vacation films).

Mike

4. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Stunt Coordinator

October 7....I think because that is the release date of Christmas: SE.

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Does it lose the trailer, cast/crew bios, and production notes from the prior release?

6. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Who all is in the commentary track?

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

From the linked review in the "other" Vacation thread;

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Aren't there deleted/alternate scenes for this film? I'm sure that TV broadcasts over the years have often included different scenes. Is this the standard theatrical version?

It's an hilarious film. Some people hate Chevy, but I have always liked him. Fletch is a riot and Caddyshack is a modern masterpiece of Pop Culture Cinema:

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one---big hitter, the Lama---long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consiousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."
    [​IMG]

Gordy

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    But, that's Bill Murray you're quoting.

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I know who I'm quoting! [​IMG]

Just got carried away for a minute.

You'll get nothing and like it! [​IMG]

Anyway, back to Vacation...

Gordy

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Sweet! I don't think I can wait for the box set (unless it's going to have something the individual discs won't like a separate extras disc) so I'll just buy them as they come out.

Anyone know if there's any compelling reason to buy the box set vs. the individual SEs? TIA.

12. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

13. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

The box set is going to retail for $60, which will be $45 in most places-- it's as if you're getting one of the films for free. I'm debating holding off, but getting this right away is so tempting.

14. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I'll be selling my non-SE versions of Christmas Vacation and Vacation, and picking up two copies of the boxed set, one for me, another for my Dad.

15. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

16. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

The cast audio commentary is fairly entertaining and informative. As indicated in the review above, only Beverly D'Angelo is absent. Director Harold Ramis dominates the track for the most part (it appears that Ramis was recorded separatly from the rest of the cast). I thought it was interesting that he was not proud of the urban ghetto scene in St. Louis. He feels it was the most politically incorrect scene he ever shot and would never shoot a scene in this way again. By clicking around through the Family Truckster featurette you can find brief, new interviews with producer Matty Simmons, Dana Barron and Christy Brinkley (who still looks great) along with some behind-the-scenes photographs. The disc also includes a theatrical trailer and a simple cast listing (no bios or production notes). My only minor disappointment is that the original ending (which tested poorly and was re-shot) referred to repeatedly in the commentary is not included as a supplement. Nor are they any of the alternate takes used when the film has played on TV or on airplanes.

17. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

this dvd has already been out for a while now. Ive seen it on the shelves for about a week now. I wasnt able to pick it up though (no money....[​IMG] ) Looks great though.