What's new

Myth or Reality? HK receivers overpriced? (1 Viewer)

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
I've found that Future Shop is willing to deal on some items. The problem is that the salesmen at FutureShop are not always the most knowledgable. Johnny's right, best to find a smaller, non-chain type dealer, develope a good relationship with a salesman there and deal with him/her exclusively. That's generally the best and quickest way to good deals AND service.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

- Mike

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a brand new H/K AVR55 from ubid about 4 years ago for about $260. The receiver says it pumps out 55Wx5. I have never had a problem with this receiver. It is still running strong. I first thought it lacked power because I was use to the like of JVC, Pioneers where you barely turn up the volume and your speakers are already blaring. Then I found this forum. I have never been happier with my H/K until I bought the Avia DVD and calibrated my system. This unit sounds great and it is in a 18.5'x15.5' with a cathedral ceiling. I haven't owned one of their new model so I can't really comment about them. Hope this helps.

Daniel T

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
when i used to work at CC several years ago, we used to love to sell HK stuff.
as we used to say, "those things are fat!" -- as in very high margin.
it was no big deal to the managers to cut as much as 30% off those things to close the sale. it irritated us salespeople because we were the ones who lost out, not the store. anwyay...
but i don't know what their situation is like today...

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Hey Andrew

Well, so far I bought all my gear at Advance. I deal with Gerald. He gives me good deals right off the hop. I remember when I was buying a DVD player for my dad at Christmas I was dealing with this guy at A&B. The lowest he'd go was $420. I offered $400 and he refused. I went to see Gerald and the price he gave me, without even knowing I was at A&B, was $400. Sold! But more importantly, he seems to know his stuff and I go there just to ask him questions.

Where do you go?

- Mike

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Most of my stuff was bought used online since I get a better deal that way but I've bough gear from A&B, Advance, and American Hi-Fi

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 520 and it only cost me $550.00 shipped Brand New. I got lucky from a guy on e-bay. It is the Best Receiver for under $900.00 By Far!! Looks like a $1500.00 from the Stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks