What's new

Myth or fact is upgrading from a Coaxial cable to a better one make a difference.. (1 Viewer)

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, it is more complicated than that. Since there is no error correction in the digital audio signal, any degradation in the signal can cause a change in the stream. This degredation can be missed 1's and 0's, or it can be slight differences in the timing between sending and receiving.

This is one of the reasons why there is no clear-cut answer- some people have a difference that is noticeable to them and some people don't. The only good way to find out if it makes a difference to you is to try it out (hopefully, with returnable cables).

CJ

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Cornelius

I agree with you on signal degradation. My point is that you don't have to pay 100$ for a cable to do the job without audible degradation.

As for timing, any cable good or bad will transmit it's information at the same speed .

Robert

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Maybe for PCM, but not for DD or DTS. DD and DTS are timed streams and do not suffer from timing "jitter".

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Which part of the link are you wondering about? As a general statement I'll simply say that much of this depends upon the frequencies you're dealing with as well as the cable lengths. Offhand, I don't see too many problems in the lengths we're going to be using.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
For me switching from a plastic toslink optical cable to pure glass has brought with it greater detail, tighter bass and a more open soundstage. BEST $15 I spent.

Kevin

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

:rolleyes

You must be joking??...I find this claim to be HIGHLY impossible...placebo effect may have caused this "change"...the "I spent more on a "better"(glass) cable, so it's got to sound better" effect.

Like everyone has stated you can't make 1's and 0's sound "tighter" or more "open", or "detailed". PERIOD

But hey, at least you just lost the cost of a DVD instead of a car payment doing the "upgrade". :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks