Myth or fact is upgrading from a Coaxial cable to a better one make a difference..

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by EddyObregon, Feb 13, 2004.

1. EddyObregon

EddyObregon Stunt Coordinator

I have a 3 year old Monster data link 100 and I just ordered a coaxial cable from better cables.com that i heard is top quality will that make a difference in sound. IS this myth or fact that upgrading from a fiber ptic cable or coaxial to a better one make it better.

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

Can a cable turn 1s and 0s into better 1s and 0s?
    I don't think so.

3. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

From what I've been reading here it will only make it better if you currently have a faulty cable or you are picking up noise in your current cable. The Coax is shielded better against the types of interference you could pick up in your system. This would be expecially true for longer runs. Just think of it as nice insurance just in case. BlueJeans makes nice cable. Now I did borrow a coax sub cable for a few days and it got rid of the hum my sub was making. I plan on making coax interconnects for my sub and video this weekend or next.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Eddy,
    Listen and let us know. You'll get more opinions than answers on that question because there is no definitive answer.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Myth.

6. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

I think im running a rca as my coaxial is this ok?

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If it's shielded and a reasonable length you're OK. As with all cables, excercise a bit of care in their insertion and removal and general handling.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

All good interconnects are coaxial. But some subwoofer cables have little arrows showing direction. This is not just hype - there is something different at the destination end.

A "Subwoofer" cable with arrows does not have the mesh shield connected to the RCA plug on the destination end. This removes the dredded "ground loop" hum. This is because the shield on a coax cable is used to connect the signal ground (0.00 volts) between your electronics.

A subwoofer is a bit unique: it has a 3-prong AC power plug. So does your reciever, but nothing else does. This means the amp and the subwoofer "Fight" over who owns the 0.00 volt reference. Using a subwoofer cable without the shield connected at both end breaks the fight. Try this if you are making your own cable.

9. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

Do the expensive gold rca's make a difference in sound quality?

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The gold plating is only a few mils thick and is done to prevent corrosion problems and provide an attractive exterior. Nonetheless, gold, being a relatively soft metal, can wear off with repeated removals and insertions. Consider buying some inexpensive contact cleaner/lubricant (caig.com has a nice assortment of little bottles that do good things...don't like them, then buy someone elses) and using a swab clean your contacts every now and then. As to a difference...nope...could've used nickel, silver, chromium, brass, rhodium, etc.

11. Brad_Harper

Brad_Harper Stunt Coordinator

Upgrading to a more expensive digital cable will not affect your sound quality. Any old rca cable will do. Shielded is a good idea but not always necessary. Digital signals are pretty robust at rejecting any noise. If you are getting sound out of your receiver from your CD/DVD player without any problems then whatever cable you're using now is fine. There is a detailed thread in the Power amp forum about this topic. Good wine tips as well. [​IMG]

12. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

its all about the bandwidth. So yes, a "better" coaxial cable can make the data more closely resemble what is output from the transmitter if the rated bandwidth is higher.

13. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Ok, my turn please!

I was given a set a of Monster Video 3 or 300 something or other component video cable.
    I seperated the three and run two for analog audio and the other one for the video for my dvd player. Is this ok? Are they 75 ohm?

14. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

LOL! That' what a forums for...jump right in!

Sure you can run like that. Any video cable will (well, it'd better be) 75 ohm coax.

15. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I'm a firm believer that cables make a difference, if only because I try to do exhaustive listening and comparing. Example: on my setup, the Kimber D-60 Illuminati brought out far more detail, resolution, and bass response than the Digiflex Gold II I was previously using. And for a hundred bucks more, it was worth it. YMMV, though.

16. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

its the one question that noone has the diffinitive answer on.
    honestly you are probably perfectly fine with what you have.

17. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Aren't the Illuminati one of those secret cults?

18. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

JanH

You must stop thinking analog . As long as a digital stream gets thru a cable unchanged, it doesn't matter what cable you use, cheap or expensive. There is no such thing as more detail or resolution. The stream is either transmitted or it is not.

As long as your processor can decipher the 0's or 1's it doesn't care what cable you used.

Could it be that you ear a difference because you cant face the fact that you just blew 100$.[​IMG]

Robert

19. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

The one argument I've heard for Coaxil over Fiber is that with fiber you have to go through another pair of A/D converters (converting the signal into pulses of light). IF the converters were poorly built, it MIGHT be more suseptable to problems. Given that coax is usually cheaper anyway, I've chosen to stick with it, and have a direct electrical connection. I should also add that I'm using a pretty cheap video cable for the interconnect, have had no problems, and see no reason to upgrade to something "exotic" IMHO, YMMV

20. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well, there is 1 difference between optical & coaxial & a 'better' coaxial cables.

Let's start with this question:

If a signal is a voltage difference, where do the 2 voltages come from?

With a coaxial cable, the shield/outer part of the RCA plugs connect the 0.00 volt reference from the reciever to all the box's. This means all the components 'share' the signal ground - they all become a part of it.

Ever pump your own gas and see your hose jump/shake? Then notice someone else clicking their handle. You both have separate pumps, but what one guy does affects what happens on your hose.

HT gear is the same way: all the electronics become a part of the 'signal' ground.

I suspect this may be why some people have heard differences on high-accuracy systems when switching from optical to coaxial: the coaxial connection adds another device to the signal ground.

A "better' coaxial cable - tigher RCA plugs => better ground connection.